Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Amnesia from Stress | Closed

Donator — Artist Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/23 11:40:12 )
So I wasn’t sure if I should post this, but I was wondering if you guys have tips on recovering from temporary/permanent amnesia? My particular situation is too much stress and memory reliving/suppression. I don’t want to expand much in super detail on it here (I’ll talk it confidentially w my psychologist) but do you have general tips? I have pill medication as a highly likely option (to at least mitigate the emotion intensity). And writing/reading/listening to music/doing art, of course!!

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/23 17:45:27 )

@Jessamine: I've never dealt with this myself. I'm sorry you are going through it. Maybe light exercise would help? Like going for a walk?

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/23 22:20:50 )
(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)ノ Hello there

I forget so much, verry quikly. Mainly because i have authism and add so my mind is chaos 24/7. I also live with my grandparents where one also has stress induced amnesia and the other begining of dementia. So we just a gang of forgetfullness.... some days its absolutle hell ;-;

What i try to do is retrace my steps or movements, by doing a movement again my brain tends to rethink the same thing sometimes. I try to think of an earlyer memory i have that couldv let me to the path of the thing im forgetting. "i was drawing, then i took my pencil, then i used my sharpner, then i drew a person, i had trouble with the clothes... oh i need to put my clothes in the washing machine!"

I also try to write down things alot on everything i can, not the whole sentence tho just key points like "clothes wash" or "8:30 city friend name" ect
i also hear misplacing obvious things on purpose could help. Like putting your pillow on the ground and thinking or even saying out loud "i need to go to the store and buy butter". then later when you see said pillow youl think of that.

Another thing that helps me is calming down, i panick alot for useless things, bc of that i compleatly forget everything and look over things. So i try to do breathing exercises (theres plenty of difrent ways you can find online) and then i try to calmly think and look around.

I wish you the best of luck!

。.:☆*:・ヽ(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)

♦ Gob | 23 | Taurus | Belgium ♦
Insta | Toyhouse | Gallery | Carrd

♦ My Art Shop ♦

Donator — Artist Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/24 07:40:42 )
Thank you so much for the tips, Total & Goblinsandtea!! <3 I’ll keep them in mind.

Yeah, I’ve been experiencing temporary amnesia for years now actually...it has been a regressive on-off decline (exacerbated noticeably by excess stress) and was a horror story of not knowing what’s wrong w me. I’m trying to cope w it as much as I can, and that it’s just a part of me now. I also want to stop constantly feeling angry & hungry to achieve more, simply because I keep having on-off episodes of memory blanks.

I write down bullet point reminders too; it has helped me a lot :)

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/24 15:20:10 )
I'm sorry that you're experiencing this!

Have you considered getting tested for exposure to heavy metals or other toxins? They do tend to accumulate and store in the body, and they can have all kinds of nasty effects on a person. Otherwise, are you hydrated enough on a daily basis? That alone might help.

Good luck :3

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator — Artist Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/24 23:07:09 )
Wildfire - the thought of getting metal & toxin tested has crossed my mind a few times, but I haven’t requested my doctors to do these specific tests yet. I’ve only had multiple basic blood tests done, in which the main issues were vitamin d & iron deficiencies...I think. I’ll look into it when I have another blood checkup in future!

I’m definitely not hydrated enough lol.

Thank you so much! <3

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/25 01:18:23 )

I know know why I didn't think about bullet points.
Also do you journal? That might help you too.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — Artist Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/25 04:51:01 )
Goblinsandtea - I’m thinking of working on your retracing thought/movement tip. I’ll chat abt it w my therapist! watching/reading/listening stuff from my past is helping a little w nice nostalgia~

Total - I don’t journal regularly, but I have spaces where I can talk abt just anything random whenever just on my own. But it’s not always introspective. I can definitely see the appeal in journaling regularly though; I’ll consider it!

Also abt your walk suggestion: I nowadays usually walk just outside my house, & previously used to walk in the park. I’m thinking of going back in park as that covers a bigger distance and has fresher air.

To add to this: I think my headache ties strongly to my amnesia, both initiated/exacerbated from stress. I went to a neurologist a few yrs ago in which I got a brain scan. It was concluded I had a chronic daily headache, as there was nothing physically wrong.

Donator — Artist Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/25 08:58:01 )
Also...I just want to say this here: this has been a really confusing and tumultuous and devastating journey for me throughout the past...four? nearly five years, although of course, there were little/big pieces of happiness/clarity along the way. And I really appreciate you guys & everyone’s (incl. outside Voltra) help along the way so so much truly. I appreciate that so many people believe in me to pull through/will pull through & believe in me in general. Regardless of how little or big communication. Regardless if we still speak or not. I still appreciate the kindness so much. (Ok I’m getting emotional now ;-;)
‘god, tell us the reason youth is wasted on the young. I thought I saw you out there crying, woah-oh. I saw a lion kiss a deer, we are all lost stars trying to light up the dark.’ ~ Jungkook. / diary. text. visual. comm.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.