Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Show me your plants! - It’s almost spring!

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/6 01:05:01 )

I've always liked nature and plants, but lately I've been super into houseplants. I want to see the beautiful greenery around me.
Tell me what are you doing now that spring is here!

Please tell me about your journey with houseplants and which ones you have! Share your stories, tips and pictures with all of us!

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/6 01:11:05 )

Pics of my plants!

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/6 17:16:32 )
    I love plants but I'm terrible at keeping them alive. Literally all my plants die lol. I only have fake plants now, I have a bunch of them! They don't die!

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/6 17:17:04 )
    Totalanimefan:

[font=Verdana][size=14]Pics of my plants!

They look so healthy and happy!
[/size][/font]

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/6 18:50:22 )

@sunny: I have some fake ones too! I try to get ones that look real.
It must be hard to take care of real plants because it's cold in the UK (to the plants). I heard that Snake Plants do really well if you just don't take care of them lol (I don't have them because I have pets)
And thanks for saying they look good. The 1st pic is just them the night I got them. So that was the store that did a great job lol. The 2nd pic is me taking care of those since Aug but the pic was taken yesterday.

@koneko: Your Monstera is so pretty! How long have you had it in water? Your succulents are cute. Do they grow slow or fast? I also like the little green Dino you have lol

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/6 19:32:52 )
    @Totalanimefan: oh we have a snake plant, it belongs to my mum tho so I am not in charge of it lol. It is pretty healthy. We also have water plants in our fish tanks, but they belong to my mum too.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/6 19:56:22 )

@sunny: Haha tell your mom to teach you her tips. I've been learning a lot about plants in the past week. Different kinds have different requirements and want different things. It can be hard to keep track. Does your mom have any other plants?

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/6 20:54:34 )

@koneko: I heard they don't like to be watered often, is it different when they are really young?
I heard that some plants can be happy and grow in water. I guess those are the types. Do you have to do anything to the water?

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/6 22:09:13 )

Oh I see. I should remember that if I decided to propagate any of my plants. I haven't looked into that subject much but maybe I should because one of my prayer plants like to only grow out of one side, so maybe I could cut it off at a node and then grow new roots in water that way.
I'm sure it will like the extra humidity? Or it is not a tropical plant?

I did see on reddit someone that said they used a rooting hormone to have the propagations grow faster, but I don't know how much it costs or if it would be worth it anyway. If a plant is only growing in water will it need fertilizer ? Sorry for all of the questions lol

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/7 00:43:33 )

Prayer plants are tropical. ^^ Just like me! Oh I see what you mean. I guess you could google it? I would think it would like it, but I know next to nothing haha.
I heard that it's very easy to do Pothos in water. I haven't seen anything casually online about the others. So that's good for me to know. Also good tip about if I prop my only plants. I think I would have to wait until my prayer plant gets bigger? Also should or or shouldn't I propagate if I see new growth on the plant?

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/7 19:34:54 )

Ok. I will remember the two or more nodes rule for the prayer plants. I watched a video yesterday on propagating Perperomias and it said you could just take one leaf and a little stem and it will grow a whole new plant! Kinda like how a succulent does.
My cat bit one of my plants for the first time today. It was the one I just got with big leaves. Well one of them now has two holes in them.

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/8 17:10:12 )
    @Totalanimefan: no the snake plant is our only survivor lol. I have been wanting a bonsai tree for yeaaaaaars but I know it would be a death sentence for the poor thing XD

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/8 17:59:23 )

@sunny: those are so pretty but I have no idea what it’s like taking care of one of those. Probably tough?

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/8 20:42:33 )

I have a snake plant and have absolutely no idea how to take care of it, just winging it
    it even went to my friends house, started thriving a bit, and then took it back and it's been off and on since xD

@ me tho. | Hangout. | OCs. | Avatars.
looking to buy: ARIES

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/8 21:44:15 )
    @Totalanimefan: yeah probably, I know it involves a lot of pruning etc. I either end up overwatering my plants, or forgetting they exist and letting them die of thirst. LOL.

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/9 00:00:28 )

@Deaa: I read that they like lower light and they only like to be watered once a month. I think snake plants like very little water. What do you do for it? Oh also it doesn't like to get direct sunlight on it's leaves. I think it can burn them?
I feel like your post style is really fitting for this thread. ^^

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/9 00:01:51 )

@sunny: I'm pretty sure I've overwatered my prayer plants in the beginning but now I'm sticking to waiting longer for more water. I thought that since they were tropical that they would always want to be watered, but that's not the case.
I also try to keep mine in a place where I can see them. Before winter they were downstairs in the kitchen. So I could check on them while I was cooking lunch.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/9 02:26:02 )

I hope he won't do it again. I'm so sad he did that. And glad that I did opt for non-toxic even though he had never done anything like that before yesterday. I told him not to do that because the plant can't bite back, so it's not fair lol

Those snake plants are pretty, are they yours?

Donator — They/Them Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/9 20:38:39 )

Oh, I have so many plants! Mostly cacti, succulents, a spider plant, a couple of snake plants, two aloe vera and I'm probably forgetting some lol

So I don't think I can show them all off lol But I can show some! xD Also apologizes for the purple hue of the photos it's my plant light~!

I also have a red cactus of the same species!

“I can turn to that day as though it were a page in a book. It’s written so deeply upon my mind I can almost taste the ink.”

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/9 21:20:20 )

I hope the cat did too! When I see him near the plants I get kind of nervous now, but he hasn't bothered them since.
I like the thiccc but I also think it looks good the way you have it now. I kinda like the deeper green. Unless that wasn't what you were going for. ^^;

@Hobgoblin Those are pretty! I also see the snow outside. We have that too atm. Are your plants not too cold on the window still? Do you have good windows? Mine are bad and don't keep the heat in so I have to have my plants a little bit away from the window.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.