Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Pinto crossed over the rainbow bridge today

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/23 02:24:31 )

You guys might have seen my post last week here about how Pinto (my dog) wasn't doing well.

Today he was put down. He was a shell of himself and he was ready and I was ready. Of course we did everything we could do for him but it was still sad. Good news is that he isn't in pain anymore. He's finally free and in a way my husband and I are finally free.

Donator — Am Potato Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/23 09:11:37 )
@Totalanimefan: It's always difficult to lose a pet. They're definitely family, and you love them, so it can be hard to let go. But, at least you were able to make him as comfortable as possible until the time came, and i know he was grateful for that.
Call me Rena (Reh-nuh)! <3 married 02/02/2020
Rena's Quest

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/23 14:34:34 )

@Alorrena: thank you. My husband and I literally did everything we could for this dog. He had a great life too. My husband is beside himself as this is/was his first dog.

Donator — He/They Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/23 21:04:56 )

I'm glad you were able to make him comfortable and give him a good life beforehand. I wish you both peace and healing.

ALWAYS PING ME

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/23 22:52:42 )

@Count Trashula: Thank you so much. That means a lot to me <3

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/23 23:40:27 )
    @Totalanimefan: aww no, I’m so sorry!! At least you can take comfort in the fact that he’s at peace now. It’s so sad when their time comes ❤️

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/24 00:03:19 )

@sunny: Yeah it was really sad but also it was time. He was very sick in the end and not really loving life anymore.

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/24 14:02:57 )
@Totalanimefan: I'm sorry, Total... but like you said - now he is free of pain, as are you and your husband free of seeing him in pain and free of catering to an old, if beloved, pet. Still, it's difficult making those decisions and processing through the emotions. Pets really are family. <3

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/24 15:29:12 )

@Wildfire: thank you. That’s how I’m feeling. And damn they really are family (already knew that but still).
The house has felt empty without him.

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/24 15:49:34 )
    @Totalanimefan: it must have been hard for you to see him so sick :(

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/24 16:48:20 )

@sunny: It really was. It was hell the last week of his life.

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/24 16:50:14 )
@Totalanimefan: Yeah... :(
The house feeling empty is completely understandable - you've spent a lot of time and energy (especially recently) catering to him and his needs and situation... and it all just went "bye bye" :/

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/24 16:52:28 )

@Wildfire: Yes totally. The next day we were like we have to get up and walk him, or give him his meds, but we didn't.
And we threw out his bed and stuff he had peed on.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — She/Her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/24 20:16:13 )

Aww, sweetheart. I'm so sorry. Pets really are family. I've grieved harder over pets than I have over most of the human deaths I've suffered and even witnessed. But one thing I've heard that really stuck with me is that the short time we have with our beloved pets, and the indescribable grief we feel in the end, is the price we pay for the deep, unconditional love they give us. Pinto loved you. It's hard not to hang on, to keep hoping for a miracle. Yet the compassion and deep empathy you had to do what was best for him shows how much you truly loved him too.

I know you knew it was time, but I also know that sometimes the tiny, irrational doubts in the back of our minds can sit and fester, so I'd still like to let you know that you didn't wait too long or that he suffered needlessly. I guarantee Pinto wasn't as worried about his pain and suffering nearly as much as he loved and wanted to spend more time with you. He knew it was time, he was ready. But I know he absolutely didn't regret having a little more time with his family.

As someone who worked in the medical field and cared for a lot of disabled and frail people over the years, caretaker burnout is a very real, yet often unspoken thing. It's incredibly difficult to care for a loved one while watching them continue to decline, whether it's a person or a pet. It takes a toll on the mind and body. An actual, tangible toll.
Never feel guilty for your feelings of relief, in these situations and others. You are human. We have our limits. It doesn't matter where that limit lies, everyone's is different and just as valid as the next. It absolutely does not mean you loved him any less or didn't try just as hard as anyone else. Relief is not a bad feeling, don't ever let the stigma or others ignorance of you and your situation convince you otherwise. It simply means that you worked hard and that work is over. Nothing more.

While I don't think it's truly possible to "move on" from the loss of a loved one, I hope you are able to eventually look back on the good memories of Pinto and smile. There will always be a tinge of sadness, but I hope you find that the happiness outweighs it. Sooner feels better than later, but everything takes time and everyone's time-frame is different. It's entirely OK to start feeling "better" quickly just as it's OK to still feel devastated months or even years later. Different brains process things differently, and there's nothing wrong with it.

I'll be keeping you and your husband in my thoughts. I know it's not much, if it even means anything at all, but it's all I can do from here. If you believe in an afterlife, then know Pinto is excitedly waiting to see you, and probably a little impatiently, as chihuahuas are known to be. And if you don't, Pinto will live on in your heart and memories. Find comfort in that you gave him a wonderful life, full of love, treats, and lots of tail wags.

Donator — She/Her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/25 03:32:36 )
@Fizzgig: This post is everything. Thank you for writing it and expressing yourself so perfectly. I also had my husband read it. I feel like everything that you said here was correct

Donator — She/Her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/11/25 03:32:56 )
This is Total but on her mule lol

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.