Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk How do you think..?

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/1 04:52:15 )
Staff Memo:
This thread was locked due to inactivity, if you wish to unlock your thread please issue a ticket. Instructions to unlock thread found here.

As a person who has worked with people with developmental disabilities, as well as a person who received the wrong teaching style her whole life, I've found that there are many different ways of thinking and looking at the world.

When I think, I have two different experiences. The first is my own voice, monologue style. The second is vivid movie-like imagery. I'll either be like "Oh, I should go do a thing" or I'll picture myself doing the thing, then I'll go do it. I often wonder how people with limited hearing or sight might process information differently. I've also heard of people who have no monologue or pictures, they just know the possibilities and choices by instinct and act accordingly..

What goes on in your brain when you are processing information? How do you think?

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/4 19:56:06 )

[x]

pls don't

Donator — he/him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/5 01:42:06 )
It's a mixture of both. Depends on what I'm doing. Chores and stuff like that it's a monologue. If I'm doing something more personal like writing my stories or daydreaming, it's moving pictures with a sort of narration over it. Sometimes there is no narration though and the character/people have voices of their own. When it's like that it more like I'm watching my own personal movie.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/5 02:06:26 )
@Glume: I played sports as a kid so I can think in physical ways, like feel the movements I need to do to accomplish something. I sometimes flail my hands around for that reason too while I talk especially when I am mad or excited. With my art sometimes I also instinctively go into the pose I am drawing to better understand it. But yeah the inner monologue is definitely there most of the time especially doing menial tasks. And visual thinking I use for daydreaming, reading a book or solving artistic problems like composing scenes.

Always ping me please.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/5 03:17:47 )
Ooh thanks guys! I find this all very interesting.

Voltie — Damned Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/5 22:03:36 )

I've never had such limitations, however, I did a speech about dreaming for Public Speaking class some years ago and as it's a popular question I looked it up.

Blind people can see in their dreams IF they went blind later in life and thus have seen before.

Just because you don't see me doesn't mean I'm not here. I'm a lurker.

Deals With the Devil

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/6 00:30:52 )

Oooo this is something I like to ponder frequently! Most of the time I'm guided by my inner voice. If I do see imagery, it's fleeting and nonspecific, so perhaps I'm one of those that acts more on instinct--though I'll sit and think about something for a long time before actually doing it lol

I do have this little background voice which often pipes in if I'm being judgemental or small-minded. Helps me to walk in the shoes of others and try to be more compassionate ^-^

I do wonder though...how do those who are blind imagine humans to look? Obviously they have tactile senses and can at least feel a physical "geography" if you will... But I wonder if they imagine colours? If they dream in colours?

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/6 12:27:19 )
@Angelus: As a narcoleptic, I've always been fascinated by dreams. I'm a bit sad it never occurred to me to look that up. Dreaming with visual recollection is confusing enough, I cant imagine what it would be like in full darkness.

@Vii: I too have wondered those things! But I always feel like too much of an arse to ask. "lol I noticed you can't see/hear/whatever... whats that like lol" I feel like there is no way to phrase it to convey my natural curiosity of the world without it sounding like I'm 100% ignorant and rude XD

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/6 21:51:07 )

@Glume: YES I feel the exact same way! It's pure innocent curiosity, and you think on the one hand "well they'd probably appreciate people taking interest and trying to educate themselves" but you don't want to offend anyone, or make then feel isolated. Q-Q I used to serve a blind customer at my old job and accidentally said "see you later" one day. It didn't dawn on me until he said it too and I was like "...but...?? Ohhhhh--" RIP I felt so bad but he was gone by the time I realised what I'd said. xD
Thankfully he had a sense of humour, and I think most people with disabilities do, but still c': I don't want to seem like I'm "trying too hard" but I don't want to step on any toes.

[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

Voltie — He/Him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/7 18:59:11 )
....I'm actually curious now and i have no idea....hmmm....When i want to do something.....I can hear myself when i start to plan what I want to write somewhere, most of the time.

Uhhh....about other things....I've honestly confused myself now and I don't know anymore.

I'll come back when my head is screwed back on again. If i think too much about a certain thing, I forget which part is false or true for me.
"I'm the loser of the game you didn't know you were playing."

Ping me for a response.

"Someday, somewhere, somehow..."

Donator — she, her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/8 00:18:48 )
For me, most things I just do, not much thought.
Some things theres an inner monologue.
Occasionally images.
Foever in my heart
Spookums 11/25/18
Angus 6/23/19
Mom 6/29/19
Dad 11/29/2021

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/8 01:41:57 )
I have little to no inner monologue from suppressing so much and just not wanting to think. It sucks though because I have almost no thought process, I just do things before thinking about them & living like that not thinking about what I’m doing makes me forget a lot of shit while I’m doing it. I end up moving from one thing to the next without thinking too much on it like I should.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/8 03:46:45 )
@butterfly: I take lots of notes when I'm having trouble focusing, but then I lose track of said notes...

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/9 03:03:23 )
@Glume: I try that too. But then I forget to even make the notes it’s ridiculous.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/9 03:06:16 )
@butterfly: Don't feel too bad, you're definitely not alone there!
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.