Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Games Pre-Ordering

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/22 17:05:23 )
Do you pre-order? Why or why not?

The last time I pre-ordered a game was way back when Destiny first released. I remember being asked by the cashier if I wanted to purchase the DLC for $35 instead of $40. I was buying a brand new $80 game.

I just remember...

Me: Wait. It's release day and there's already DLC?
Cashier: Yep!
Me: No thanks, I'm good.

I went home and beat the game, which was clearly an unfinished game and needed DLC, and felt incredibly disappointed. I didn't even end up buying the DLC because I was so salty about Bungie doing that. And decided not to buy Destiny 2 either. I remember all of the promises that Bungie made for the game that never happened. *shakes fist*

Since then I've never pre-ordered games because I rather wait a year for the GOY version with all features or get a bundle at a discounted price online. It's so dumb that you pay full price for a game only to have to buy $40 - $120 of DLC to have a full game.

I remember being thrown off by Epic too when someone discovered they had locked on disc content from Gears of War 3. Basically they had already created the content but you had to pay to get a code to access it. The fandom went nuts. And I never bought another Gears of War game lmao. I also have trust issues with Bioware and anything EA touches.

So yeah. I no longer pre-order anything and wait at least a month before buying a game depending on it's reception. I just can't trust game companies anymore. Except for Naughty Dog tbh.

/end whining

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/22 17:26:35 )

Awww man I'm sorry you were so disappointed in Destiny. I pre-ordered that and Destiny 2 and I think D2 is the last game I pre-ordered. The first game was pretty unfinished, it was a great concept but that is all it ever really felt like, was a big Beta. I still enjoyed the heck out of it tho, and Destiny 2 was honestly a lot better in terms of story, and the mechanics got even smoother.

I'll typically only pre-order games that I'm super excited about, or which belong to a favourite franchise of mine. I used to pre-order the Assassin's Creed games, and definitely had my dad pre-order Metroid: Other M for me which turned out to be...well, not a disappointment, but kind of an insult. xD Also pre-ordered Deus Ex: Human Revolution for the Augmented Edition, wish I could have PO'd Mankind Divided buuut I was broke af during that time.

It's definitely a gimmick, but one I occasionally buy into because I'm a sucker for the "street cred". xD

Donator — hot bread Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/22 17:31:01 )
I do not pre-order because I am super cheap and hate paying a lot for games. :vanora_sweat:

Sig art by me
Pixel base :www.deviantart.com/keimichi

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/22 17:31:21 )
@Vii: Yeah, Destiny felt so empty. I was so annoyed. I beat it with some friends, which was fun but when it ended, it didn't feel like an ending. I thought it was going to pop up another quest but it didn't. Then I realized I had beat the game... :vanora_sad:

Never got into the Metroid games, what was up with that one?

It just annoyed me bc companies will take advantage of consumers by releasing games then later "fixing bugs" by releasing patches and wtv that should have originally been on the game.

Look at you Mass Effect 3 and Andromeda!

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/22 17:39:28 )
On the subject of DLC:

lol FF XV(which I did preorder at the time, but only items were released first, DLC-wise).

Granted, you can get by with the base game, but the DLC adds more...

...for the most part. I don't know WHY a FF game needs an FPS mode.

(I'll still get the Royal Pack DLC, though. Eventually, if only for the new Insomnia map.)

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/22 17:39:31 )

@nyreen: For real tho, it's definitely frustrating that they deliberately release "incomplete games" so they can sell more content later. I do enjoy DLC that helps breathe new life into an older game tho.

And omg Metroid Prime is one of my favourite trilogies ever. Exploring as Samus is my raison d'être.

But in Other M, they tried to shed light on Samus's background and "characterise" her more but it kinda backfired. She was always tough and stoic but in Other M they made her a whiny lil girl. Thankfully Nintendo realised their mistake and Other M has been declared non-canon. xD The game itself was fun to play, I enjoyed the side-scroller feel but at the same time, scanning logbook entries and generally roleplaying as Samus was a big part of the Prime Trilogy and what made it great, which Other M just didn't really have. I also don't like the new Varia suit >:C

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/22 17:42:49 )
The last game I pre-ordered was No Man's Sky. I'm not upset that it wasn't everything it promised when it came out, but I am upset that patches to it have made it completely unplayable on my machine... and I also actually am a little upset about the first thing :p

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/22 18:01:22 )

I never played that game, but remember all the hype surrounding it, and then suddenly...nothing. xD It certainly did sound interesting, though, and I still might give it a shot sometime if I find it at Bookman's or something. I was too busy with Destiny around that time, IIRC.

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/22 18:10:16 )
@Glume: Oh yeah, I heard that game was an absolute disaster. >>;; I won't get it, even if it ends up being super discounted and fixed haha.

@Vii: OH riiiight! I remember reading about how they butchered her character completely.

@artits: lol honeslty same. I can't afford to just buy a $80 game... and much rather spend less than that for a GOY version or get it all super discounted on Steam!

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/22 18:15:30 )
@nyreen: It was fun enough when it did work but there were a lot of selling points they didn't deliver on. I was ok with it at the time because I support a lot of beta games so I figured give 'em a while and they'll get their shit together. I was so upset to go back to more problems than I left. I can't run the game on anything but the lowest graphics setting... and the whole point of that game, to me, was exploring beautiful new places. Its hard to do when everything is neon polygons.

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/22 18:19:20 )
@Glume: Yeah for sure.. it's totally unplayable. :/ And graphics cards are fuuuuucking nuts rn price rise, no? Isn't it because of Bitcoin?

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/22 18:23:46 )
That's what I've heard.

Voltie — Baby Yoda Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/22 18:24:54 )

" I preorder things that interest me.
Last thing preordered was destiny 2...
was a huge disappointment. :'(

haven't touched it since release
i was so excited for the game too :^ )
extra salty"

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/22 18:25:38 )
I don't know, but I do know I've got a pretty rocking card that could totally handle it before... I mean I can play the second-to-latest far cry four on the highest setting so I should not have a problem at all.

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/22 18:27:29 )
@Vladimir: WE CAN BE SALTY OVER BUNGIE'S FAILURE TOGETHER.

@Glume: Woah wait, that's weird. I guess it's the game itself?

@onsenmark: I never got into FF, but first person seems weird. Wouldn't that make battles harder and travelling around?
call me grem
they/them

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/22 18:30:37 )
@nyreen: It is. They have a few people complaining on the forums, and the problem is acknowledged but never addressed. A few people found workarounds editing the code or messing with game files but none ever worked for me :(
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/22 18:32:09 )

*drags Destiny 2 into the corner* It's okay bby, I still love you q-q you brought me to tears
inb4 I cry at like every game I play
blame inFamous 2

[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/22 18:37:40 )
@nyreen: I dunno, but I wouldn't really use it. It makes chocobo riding in FF XIV a mildly interesting experience, though.
See what conventions I'll be at next

Final Fantasy XV: Worst. Bachelor Party. EVER.

Voltie — Nayu Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/22 18:56:35 )
@nyreen: I preorder, usually after I do some research on a game. If it’s something that’s going to be HOT (meaning a lot of people at my local game store will be preordering and there aren’t many slots) I usuallyyyyyy wait so that others can get the slots and I just pick it up later lol. Some things come out when I can’t buy games anyway :p
Ping me for attention. I tend to wander.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/24 02:42:20 )
I absolutely do. If it's a game I'm looking forward to, then yes, I'll pre-order it. Even if it's disappointing, I'm still getting an experience out of it, imo.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.