Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Literature Seihou's Collection of Favorite Poems

Voltie — (They/She) Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/24 19:47:30 )

I decided to make a thread for poetry I particularly like!

For context, I had told my therapist one day how my friend (who I was living with at the time) gave me little "homework assignments" to do for when I didn't have much to do and she wasn't home. Those assignments were basically to find poems for her. We only ever did 2 of those assignments, but they were really fun and I liked them a lot. It helped me actually try to find poetry I liked, and I even made some art for one of the poems!
So my therapist decided that for group therapy, we would end our sessions with sharing a poem we liked. This led to many more poetry to discover, and it was really great.

Lately though, we kinda stopped doing that because new people are coming into our group, and we have other things that we want to focus on, unfortunately. So I decided to add some poems here!

My main thing when it comes to poems is that I try to look for poems that doesn't involve love. Bonus points if they're about boys too. There's always poetry about loving a girl or boy being abusive in relationships, but I wanted to find poems not involving that!

It would be cool to talk about poems and share them on here! I'll start off with this nice poem about love (I know it contradicts what I just said, but I promise this one is good!)

Flower by Kim Chunsu:

Before I called their name,
they were nothing
more than a gesture.

When I called their name,
they came to me
and became a flower.

Like I called their name,
will someone please call my name
that suits my light and fragrance?
I, too, long to come to them
and become their flower.

We all long to be something.
You, to me, and I, to you,
long to become a gaze that won’t be forgotten.

Voltie — (They/She) Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/25 21:28:50 )

Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep by Mary Elizabeth Frye:

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

I suffer with PTSD and depression, and it's been a real struggle, so I've definitely thought about death more than once in my lifetime. I really love this poem because I like to think that the people who pass away are still with us in spirit. And at the same time, this poem reminds me of holidays like the Day of The Dead, where it's believed that our ancestors come to visit us on that day and watch over us. I dunno, it's really uplifting. We shouldn't be afraid of death honestly, and people should work on understanding that it's literally a part of life.

Now I feel like I sound a bit pretentious, oof TuT

Voltie — (They/She) Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/04/8 23:41:29 )

Dust of Snow by Robert Frost:

The way a crow
Shook down on me
The dust of snow
From a hemlock tree

Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of a day I had rued.

Basically, "Today was shit, but then I saw a crow"

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.