Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk don't ever use expired medication, even if you're desperate

Voltie — they/any Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/04/7 17:18:27 )
96% completed... Please wait while we load the contents of this comment.

i think i've mentioned this a few times, but i have severe atopic dermatitis. i've had it for just about as long as i lived, and there hasn't been a day where i've truly felt comfortable. it's constantly itchy and dry and painful, and i'm naturally inclined to scratch my skin whether i'm itchy or not.

of course, i do have medication to combat this. i've used some so often, that i can actually name a few. i've used doxycycline hyclate (arguably the worst in terms of side effects), vitamin c gels and tablets, triamcinolone acetonide in both cream and ointment form, betamethasone, mupiocirin, and i'm also authorized to use dupixent because of how severe it is.

i'm only limited to only three refills per ointment tube and pill bottle, and i can run through them quick, though sometimes i do neglect my medications because of laziness. one of the leftover medications i had was a months old tube of triamcinolone, which had become oily and separated into two layers when squeezed out, because of repeated heat exposure. my skin was dry, and i couldn't find my regular tube of betamethasone, so i had to use some of the old ointment.

for a couple of minutes, it all seemed fine. my skin was moisturized, and that's all that mattered... then the swelling slowly came in. it took me a couple of minutes to realize why my skin felt so itchy all of a sudden, but after checking the moisturized area, i'd seen that the scratched up areas were now swollen and puffy, and hot to the touch. i kept scratching and putting on ointment, but i had stopped after the second time because it caught up to me that the ointment was the problem. so, as logically as possible, i grabbed a few alcohol wipes and sanitized the affected area as much as possible. i had also decided minutes after that perhaps taking antihistamines would aide in stopping the flare up, and luckily, it did. slowly, in waves of heat, the swelling had calmed down, but it still hurt and whatnot.

today, i have learned a valuable lesson: don't use expired medication, even if you really need it. i did some research, and if you put expired ointment on an open wound (which i had foolishly done), there could be adverse effects. mine was swelling skin, and thankfully nothing else, but it could have devolved into something MUCH worse, had i not tried to take care of it. ointments may not do much damage if expired, but expired pills can do a lot of harm. i'm glad i didn't keep my old pills for my ad, or it would've been the end for me (but i know better, but it's better to be safe than sorry).

i'd speak up more about this, but the antihistamines i took are starting to make me drowsy, but i'm glad it had done SOMETHING instead of nothing. not only that, i really need to pack up and hit the hay.
Comment posted! Thank you for your patience.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/04/7 19:41:49 )

Yeah that's really serious. It's always important to throw out expired products. Sunscreen and makeup included!

Voltie — they/any Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/04/8 02:26:23 )
96% completed... Please wait while we load the contents of this comment.

@kda drew: it wasn't a terrible reaction, but it definitely was annoying to deal with. i also completely understand why you would recycle old medication, since i have to do it when i can't visit the doctor, but it's still a really risky thing to do. i'm glad your meds only made you sleepy, but then you were still putting yourself at risk of getting horribly sick.

@totalanimefan: yeah, i think i've really learned my lesson here. a close friend of mine suggested that i immediately discard the old tube of medicine, and i followed through, since it was the only thing i could do then.

@bioshock: yep, or some of the ingredients in the old medication might've broken down into something harmful for human consumption. and i really didn't know that people have to rely on fish antibiotics, which is a depressing thought. i really wish that this wasn't the case, but sadly it's gonna take more than us chanting for the prices for medication to be lowered. :(
Comment posted! Thank you for your patience.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/04/8 16:25:31 )

@scarabee: that sucks that you had to do that, but it was for the best. I don't think that I have anything expired but I will have to take a look.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.