Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat I think I just saved my dog from dog theft?

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/5 22:01:53 )

For anyone who doesn't live in the UK, dog theft is REALLY common here. They take them for bait, or to breed, or to resell, especially if they are expensive-looking dogs (my dog looks purebreed, but he isn't). And I live in an old people's area, and such areas are really common to target because old people can't fight back.

SO anyway, my mum takes the dog for his final walk at about 7pm every day, and she did that today, and I heard her come back and I heard her talking outside the house, so I went to look out the window and see what she was doing and she was talking to a pair of women who had, apparently, got lost and needed directions. They were driving a white transit van, and the door was open, and they were distracting my mum. They had apparently been following her around the neighbourhood. All these are huge red flags, and pretty common in reported dog thefts.

I stormed out there in my pyjamas FREAKInG OUT. I grabbed the dog and my mum was like WTF, completely oblivious. As soon as I had the dog and walked him away, the women in the car promptly shut up and left, as if they knew they didn't stand a chance of getting him. I don't think they expected to see someone young and able-bodied. They were preying on my mum because she is older and pysically disabled.

I dread to think what would have happened if I hadn't gone out there. Honestly I think they were seconds away from grabbing him. There's every chance it could have been a completely innocent encounter, but everything they did is typical signs of dog theft. There were so many red flags.

In future, I'll be going with my mum on her evening dog walks. We will be EXTRA vigilant.

But yeah, that was my panic of the day, and honestly I feel really jittery now, like what if they come back? I might look young and active but I am pysically weak as a kitten lmao. I can't fight anyone off if they decide to break in.

We would have called the police, but we didn't get a reg number. I was too busy making sure the dog was safe in the house, and the van drove away super quick.

NIGHTMARE :O

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/5 22:25:14 )

@sunny: Wow good on you for realizing what was happening. Those people are awful. (We do have the same thing here but it tends to be around Christmas time that they do it). Don't get mad at your mom but do warn her about what happened and what to look out for next time. Some people are so brave that they will just take the dog right from you.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — Frog bless Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/6 01:57:58 )
I just don't understand how some people can be so heartless like this. I'm glad your dog is safe.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Donator — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/6 02:23:00 )

Yikes, that all sounds rough. But I'm glad you were able to recognize the signs and step in when you did! Sounds like your area needs a neighborhood watch group. :o

❀❀❀❀

Check out my shop! Currently selling Winter '21 Plasma Orb Items and more.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/6 11:47:53 )
That's terrible, i'm glad your dog is okay

Donator — she/they Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/6 13:29:16 )
Good instincts. Following someone who is walking while in an unmarked van is SUPER SKETCHY. You absolutely saved the dog and probably your mother from something scary.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/6 20:14:28 )

Thank you everyone. I am still pretty worried, but when we went out for tonight's walk there was no sign of anyone in a van or anything like that. I barely slept last night because I was worrying someone would break into the house :(

Donator — She Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/6 22:53:33 )
@sunny: oh wow I'm glad they didn't take ur wee dog.. I don't let my dog off the lead anymore and I don't walk alone anymore either .. it's so sad that u can't even own a dog.. and yes when it comes to people messing with ur pets or family u would find the strength the fight back and whoop their asses.. I don't think they will be back

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/7 00:45:53 )

@LilMissKushy: you’re probably right :D I just worry for nothing, but yeah, I would fight like mad to keep him. I would hate for anything to happen to him...

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.