Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Simplify your Life

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/10 22:45:19 )

I've been learning through the last half of 2021 that I have been over-indulging in a lot of things over the last several years. All except for food, that is, so I didn't really recognize it in myself until I took a step back and realized why I always felt so chaotic even when nothing was going "wrong" or "bad". Just never could feel satisfied, my days off from work felt wasted or like I didn't do anything. When, in fact, I just did too MUCH!

I'm sure a lot of religions and followings teach this in some shape or form, but it makes me think about a bhuddist teaching about simplifying things in your life, especially your possessions.

For me a big one was video games. I have been BIG on game hopping for like... most of my life actually. If I allow myself today, I could play through several games back to back until about 3am. But then I would go to bed feeling cruddy like... yeah the games are fun and I really enjoy myself in the moment, but I ended up doing so much that it feels like I did nothing at all or that I wasn't satisfied fully.
My partner has done this too, its something we both are super guilty of.
ANd like, NOTHING is wrong with playing games til 3am imo. But ever since he and I limited ourselves to a max of 2 games to play per month, we've felt so much happier! The hobby is getting more clear focus and more progress, and we feel like we have time for it.

Same extended to other hobbies. Limit one hobby at a time, rather than trying to make music then trying to draw then trying to crochet--stop! Just make music. Crochet next time. One project at a time.

One art piece at a time.

One show at a time.

This week I'll do this, next week maybe I'll do that. But until then, I'm just gonna do this one thing and be at peace!

My partner and I have been practicing simplifying our lives in pretty much every form (except, we aren't minimalists, we do enjoy our geek book shelves and such XD) and this has gone on for about 4 months! I think xmas season made it a little wonky cause work stress invaded personal life, but disregarding that, we've been absolutely enjoying life and appreciating what we have more.

It seems like such a common sense thing, to take things in moderation. But sometimes we get blind to what we're gorging ourselves with!
:vanora_sweat:

And this is a Jolly-thinking-out-loud thread, not sure it truly classifies as serious or what but... yeah
Hope this perspective helps someone else find some peace too

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/11 01:53:57 )

I'm trying to simplify my life this year by being more organized. I'm hoping to see less clutter in my life and have a home for all of the things in my house.
Good luck, I think that you are on the right track. Slowing down and appreciating what you have is always good. ^^

Donator — Medical Biller Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/11 07:46:19 )
I am a multitasker as well. It feels weird for me to do one project at a time.

However, do what is best for and I can see you being successful at it.

Donator — Medical Biller Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/11 07:46:31 )
I accidentally posted twice.

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/11 16:16:43 )

@Totalanimefan:
Yeah same! I'm trying to thin out my collections. I have a habit of clinging to items only because someone gifted them to me, but otherwise I dont use them or collect them for any other reason. I struggle to get rid of gifts but if they're a few years old I think I must ;v;

@Qiqi Agatha:
Yeah I have to have several things to focus on at once. But thats why Ill watch a show or something while I draw or craft. Keeps my brain busy while my hands are busy too!
Otherwise I start munching on snacks while I hobby XD
or do all three

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/11 18:09:51 )

@Jolly: You could always try the Marie Kondo method ^^ That really helps me.

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/13 22:22:26 )

@Totalanimefan:
i had to look up who that was
ironically never heard of her but her method is kind of what i do already :vanora_xd:
except, gifts
i end up keeping those too long even if it isn't something i use or look at much, cause of the sentiment that they came from someone. like my mom gave me these microwave rice cookers. i have since been given a proper rice cooker machine that is more effective, so now I'm like what do i do with momsssss lmao
i donate things a lot but i should probably try to sell things sometimes too, when they're gently used ^^;;;

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/14 00:46:21 )

@Jolly: Gifts count as sentimental in her system.
Also you should which her series on Netflix or read the book. Both are very good. ^^
Donating or selling is a good idea. ^^

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — Medical Biller Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/14 05:36:59 )
@Jolly: , I understand. I do get bored easily.
Ensuite, je suis le fantôme de Novembre!

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/11 00:33:57 )
    It's just about figuring out what works in your life, and what doesn't. It's part of becoming older, too.

For feeling overwhelmed, a professor I respect told me the bird-by-bird analogy and it seems to help put things in perspective.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.