Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk sigh sigh sigh

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/24 20:27:36 )

People have a lot to say about what I do with my life. I think its because I've never lived the typical city lifestyle, dont really fit into a mold of norm I guess. So it makes people think from their own perspective.

Yesterday after work I felt flustered by a conversation with my managers. Most of why I felt that way is because one of them (politely) asked about my driving phobia, and the notorious question of "why are you scared?"

Even though she means well, she was just curious as most people are when it sounds like my fear of driving is beyond the norm. Cause it is a spectacle I guess. But answering that question always flusters me because its so complicated, I dont even know the reason exactly. I know many factors, I know the thoughts in my head that get so loud and scare me so much, but I never could put my finger on why I have such a physical reaction to driving a car. I could swear it hurts, and trying to explain this to people without sounding overdramatic just makes my throat tighten and my hands get so nervous. I've blacked out twice, one resulting in a wreck. Its so horrifying, it took so long to be able to succeed at driving at all. As some of you know, I've shared a lot of my struggles here ^^;;

At one point I considered any physical causes. I've been concussed and knocked out a few times as a kid, so perhaps there is something to brain damage. Never got that tested because I don't really feel like having someone poke inside my skull in any physical manner. But I did get my eyes tested, because I thought that maybe I just struggle with depth perception (in my panic, everything feels like it gets really close to me even if its far away--I thought maybe its my vision but its probably anxiety) but I was told that eye sight would not have an effect on that.

There's still some merit to brain damage idea, I suppose, but I'll never know.

I got more into studying mental disorders and psychology in part because of this abnormal fear. I mean, I've always paid attention to psychology of how people speak and act, because I've always just been a little different. Always sat on the side since others didn't take to me well as kids.
I recently began to wonder if there could be any link between my driving fear and my (supposedly) mild aspergers. Admittedly, I haven't studied enough about aspergers/autism to really know. But my partner did make a recent comment about how I have a strong reaction to textures. Like he was rubbing his hand on the carpet to play with the cat and I yelled and left the room cause it made my skin crawl. I'unno, I thought that was normal, I have sensitive palms man. If you rubbed the center of my palms with a finger, I'd feel like punching you, its so skdfhskdh it makes my spine go stiff! So watching someone else rub their palms on something that would bother me, feels like I'm the one doing it. You know what I mean? If you scratch a chalk board, I can feel the vibrations in my nails and have to shake it away or press on them.
But he laughed and said he read about that being a very aspergers thing (at least, to the extent that I felt it). He likes to read about these things ever since I told him about my childhood "diagnosis", just to understand what it entails.

I spent the rest of the day thinking about how it, if thats truth, if it could potentially affect how I visually take in information, and could that have anything to do with being in a car, moving faster than a natural speed like that. Visual information is so fast and overwhelming. Could that be causing my fear to be so bad? Even if it was "aspergers" to blame, what would I even do about that. "People" do not understand when you say "I'm sorry for struggling with this thing, I'm dealing with [insert mental disorder that cannot be seen on the surface]"

My partner has been driving for me a lot recently. Although I'm quite capable, he knows I'm a lot more scared driving here than I was in colorado, just by how... fast all the roads are. And less back roads, I always drove back roads.
But this also brings up a lot of speculation. We share a car to save money, since our jobs are right next to each other, so my managers see that he drops me off and picks me up. THey always make comments about him getting his own car, ect. As if it makes any difference to them. I've been considering getting a new car recently since mine is starting to cough and wheeze (its a 2008 model), and one manager was like "you should have him BUY your current car, dont GIVE it to him! Make him work hard for it like you did"

Like... stop, he's helping me so much. I am able to drive because I worked so hard, but he helps me to continue by keeping my head on straight and he takes the burden off me when he can.
I wish people would stop asking me questions and telling me what they think I should be doing

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/24 20:33:03 )

Ah, long vents again, I'm good at that \o/

Maybe its unhealthy to think so much about my mental functions, as if its a "thing"
but I cant help thinking

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/24 21:24:38 )

@Jolly: First of all, they can go and fuck off. People like that make me so angry. You ever fucking hear of empathy? You ever hear of people being different than you? Not everyone is you, Mark.

Anyway, I also have a phobia and I went to therapy about it and everything. I still have it, it will probably never go away, but I did learn how to better manage it. I can talk about it now most of the time, and I can sometimes handle seeing it done to other people, but yeah. This isn't about me.
I really think that seeing a therapist would help you with this. I'm not saying that you have to start driving, cause you don't. You have something that works out and who wants to have to pay for two cars and the insurance for two cars in this economy? No thank you. Plus carpooling is better for the environment. Not that older people ever think of that either. ๐Ÿ™„
Oh and my therapist said that you don't have to explain it to anyone. Most don't actually understand psychology and wouldn't get it and then will just invalidate your feelings which makes it worse.

"But why are you scared?" Hell if I know, that's why the way my brain works. Yes, I have seen a therapist about it.

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/25 00:51:16 )

@Totalanimefan:
I still have therapy on my goals list :vanora_xd:
My fiance just got a new job (pay raise, woo!) that offers benefits, which SUPPOSEDLY covers mental health! I need to read the package he brought home just today about it. If its as good as it sounds, then after we marry, I'd be able to switch to his benefits. Mine cover just about anything except for mental health lmao
and going without coverage is just... too much money ;v;

Anyways, your therapist is absolutely right. I get so sucked into conversations with people and relationships, that I forget in the moment that I dont have to answer every question. I gotta figure out a polite way of dismissing such a conversation before it happens!

It is also good to note that it will probably never go away. I am happiest when I come to accept that about my phobia! When its just there, but despite it I'm still here, working hard and doing life in a way that works for me and my partner. Once we get through marriage document stuff, I'll probably end up putting car stuff in his name anyway, since apparently in texas he gets no insurance coverage at all when driving my car unless I add him to the policy ^^;;;; oops! In colorado its a limited coverage thing iirc

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/25 01:03:55 )

@Jolly: Wow congrats to him! Benefits are a really important part of a job. Without coverage therapy is so expensive.
Thanks. I would think the same thing before my therapist taught me that. And I think it was a great piece of advice. A polite way is to be honest but keep whatever the reply is not an open ended reply. Like if there was a way to shut it down.
Maybe, I have some past trauma that I don't like to talk about. When are you in therapy they can teach you a way.
When are you guys getting married ? (Sorry if that's a loaded question, I just meant so you could get on benefits and the car stuff too lol)

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/25 02:55:27 )

I agree with Koneko. I just didn't get into the PTSD part because I'm not a professional. I have PTSD related to my phobia.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/25 03:37:08 )

Totally ok that you posted about PTSD. I think it's a factor and something that Jolly probably has.

Agreed they shouldn't be asking and pressing about it. Esp cause they clearly aren't doing it out of empathy.

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/25 20:46:59 )

@Totalanimefan:
Haha I dont mind the question, we're planning to officially elope this year. But first we have to get him a new birth certif and social, since his parents kept all that from him (they're still cut out for the time being). But then my car started screeching (literally) and I'm told I need to get a new car cause fixing it is worth more than I even bought the car for. At the very moment, we're sort of stunned by finances and trying to make a game plan.

This is the worst time to be buying a car, used or not
x vx'''

@koneko:
Yeah, I guess I feel like I "shouldn't" use answers like that because I always assume I'll be taken less seriously. But neither will I be if I stumble and force myself to try and put my finger on why. Social life is so dang awkward lmao

I'd be interested to read more into sensory stuff one of these days. It kinda makes more sense?
My sis studies phsychology in law school and has access to those DSM-5 books (or book, idk if its one or many sdkfhds) so I might take a peak at those and see how they break down the signs and symptoms. Maybe something will link, maybe not.

Self diagnosis isn't my intention, I guess I just wanna nerd out more than anything

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/25 20:54:18 )

On a side note, asking "why" is very much a habit that this person has. Its like her natural go-to when she talks to someone. SHe always asks people why about things because there's a lot of normal things she doesn't know. Its her way of trying to learn something, to understand it. But it comes off wrong. She's a manager, so when she notices that I make a mistake on something, she would ask "why" before even considering how to fix it (or that I may have already/or may already be working on fixing it). It would cause us to bump heads.
Its always why
and it very much comes off as a set up to chew me out

until one day I had enough and I snapped as soon as she asked me why. I got so flustered and upset cause she had poked and prodded all morning before that point, my other manager sent me home to take a breather and rest.

When I came back to work, the girl and I talked about it and I was like just stop asking me why I do things. Like... that question just needs to be eliminated. Everything upstairs is functioning until you make me think inward like that and then all hell breaks loose, you let the ADHD go free and its too much to handle. Or whatever, I just hate why questions lol

She stopped asking why and we've been getting along fine for a while now. Until this driving topic, but she probably didn't realize she was asking why again cause it isn't work related.
Sigh
I think its just her way of thinking, and it unintentionally sets me up cause I never respond well to it.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/25 23:03:36 )

@Jolly: It's always so annoying when there are things in the way of getting married. haha
I guess since the part is a lot, but it's hard to buy any kind of car, see the price difference between fixing the piece and what cars you can actually get atm. I feel like there is nothing until 10k atm. ^^;

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/26 04:50:10 )

@Totalanimefan:
I mean, its 3k to fix the car (I bought it for 4k a few years ago) and I just spent 1k on it about 4-5 months ago for another fix.
1k a few months before that. So in the long run it may be best to get a new(er) car since this one is crapping out every few months and now the fixes are getting more expensive than they used to be lol

its also a low rider, so ive considered finding something that sits a little higher for the rainy seasons when we get giant puddles in the road that cant be avoided. they pop up unexpectedly on the interstates here and I swear my car is too low for them, its so scaryyyyy when I can feel so much water hit the belly of the car ;;;;A; (thankfully I havent been driving when this happens, my partner knows how to handle it safely)

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here
โ€
08 22 22

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/26 05:27:08 )

@Jolly: yeah that’s true. How many miles does it have on it?
Would you be able to afford buying a different used car. All things to think about.

I’m glad he knows how to drive in the rain. I do too since I’m from Florida but it’s a learned skill for sure. Is flooding bad in your area at certain times of the year?

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — Any Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/27 18:37:06 )

:::สšโ™กษž:::
I'm sorry that you have to deal with this. People suck and are always asking too many questions lol. I'm the same way with driving, I'm terrified and don't really know why. My anxiety is probably the culprit. I also dissociate hard and I really don't think I could safely be a driver. Honestly, this society doesn't take any mental illness seriously and it's exhausting.
It's great that your partner is there to help you !

:::สšโ™กษž:::

Please ping me!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.