Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts CLOSED

Voltie — they/them Posted 7 years ago ( 2018/03/18 00:58:34 )
@Auxillatrix: The people that discouraged me from teaching, oddly enough, were my education professors at college. I took a class that was literally "here's all the rules and red tape you'll have to deal with as a teacher... are you sure this is what you want?" That's when I decided middle/high school wouldn't be worth it and I'd rather stay in college forever, do research, get my PhD, be a professor. The problem is that, to get a PhD, you either have to be incredibly smart or incredibly self-motivated, and I was not enough of either. That's the other thing that puts me off going back to school - I don't want to dig myself even deeper into debt just to end up failing again.

I also do not want to learn how to use a gun. I would definitely end up shooting myself, just like the last time I played laser tag. No thank you. Hopefully everything goes well with your degree and guns don't get added to your list of classroom supplies :/

I mean, if you like being alone with nature all the time, the UP is your place. Apart from birds and the occasional squirrel, I don't see many wild animals these days, and I miss it. But for me, it was really isolating having no one to talk to. I'm an introvert, but I get lonely sometimes. And haha, the cops 100% know that kids do that, and I think they just let it slide because it's better knowing where they are and what they're up to than not knowing :P

Donator — Yes Posted 7 years ago ( 2018/03/18 01:28:18 )
@Theory: Oh jeez, that sounds like a horrible time. :< I took a teaching class a couple years ago and it wasn't that blunt about it, but by the end of the class, almost 80% of the class decided teaching wasn't for them. Between needing to take into account the fact that people who don't speak english are going to be in their classes, needing to teach for all learning styles, and looking out for the well being of the students, it's a touch job. ESPECIALLY now with all the poop that's been happening.
But I can 100% understand not being motivated enough to go back to or finish school. I became so unmotivated after my first year that I considered dropping out. The only think that prevented me from doing so is my whole family threatening to cut me off. :/

I read a post made by a teacher who was concerned because he has accidentally knocked himself out by jumping on his desk and hitting his head on the ceiling, and he finished the story with "please don't give me a gun" and I feel that so hard. Not only am I a clumsy PoS, but I am not really... Stable enough to own or use a gun, if you catch my drift. Plus, if kids are able to get their hands on guns, what makes them think they won't break into where ever the guns are held? There are so many flaws with this plan I hate it.

I appreciate your support though, it really means a lot to me. If people on the internet can believe in me, so can I. owo

Michigan is so weird like that though. Around my house you might see a bird or a cat, but you cross the street and walk a block? Deer, skunks, squirrels, birds of all kinds, cats, dogs, raccoons, possums, foxes, just about everything that can survive in a town. Then you walk a little bit past that and you find farms. I think that's really amazing.
Ah yeah, being isolated is never a good feeling, I am sorry you had felt that way. :< Is it better now? I live in an active part of my town and I still feel isolated, lol. I love all the people online, though, and that helps. :>
Honestly the police are like that here, too. The cops will just kinda shrug it off as long as you aren't hurting anyone. I'm really glad, because I've had friends that def would have gotten in trouble if they cared, oh lord.
26 // Michigan // Goat enthusiast
If you don't ping me I'll miss you!

Voltie Posted 7 years ago ( 2018/03/18 01:29:09 )
*Strolls on in* Hey, May I Slytherin? * *

Also my Slytherin shirt totally saved me from getting pinched by my roommate, as did painting my nails last night :)
How is everyone doing today? I got one art piece done that I owe people on gaia |D and just sort of watching anime and youtube letsplays for the sims 4.
Bribe Shop
Freebies, come get em

Voltie Posted 7 years ago ( 2018/03/18 04:29:29 )

@Theory: I never download things. lol
I use them online but still, Skype sucked.
Discord is much easier to navigate and use.

Donator Posted 7 years ago ( 2018/03/18 08:34:15 )
/waves @anarchist beauty
Hello~ Go ahead and add me under Hufflepuff here too.

/inserts self into ongoing conversation @Theory @Auxillatrix
I teach Math AND Science.. at the elementary level -4th and 5th. I build the foundations for people like you that want to teach the bigger kids! Teaching is my hobby, my career, and my life. Don't let those that have either A. never been in the profession or B. have been in the profession too long and have grown bitter steal your thunder! The world needs good, highly qualified teachers that can make a positive impact on these students that so desperately need it! Early intervention or just intervention in general can do so much for these children and teenagers. *cough* /steps off of my soapbox now.

Hi. I'm Mousy.
Please ping! I get distracted easily.

Voltie Posted 7 years ago ( 2018/03/18 17:23:20 )

@Mousy: Your avi is so cute!
And welcome!

Voltie — they/them Posted 7 years ago ( 2018/03/19 17:47:43 )
@Auxillatrix: Ha, I guess people can get scared out of teaching either way. There are a lot more factors to consider than most people would think. It's an extremely difficult job. But for those who choose it, hopefully it's rewarding enough to make the bad parts worthwhile <3
Jeez... my family was really overprotective and probably would have been delighted if I'd decided to leave school and move back home. None of my siblings went to college, they all still live in the town we grew up in, so I'm kind of the odd one out :/ Dropping out didn't cross my mind until grad school though, and it was only after I was put on academic probation and lost my funding. I wasn't about to pay graduate tuition out of my own pocket, haha.

Yeah, good point. Let's put guns inside the schools so the delinquent student who wants to shoot up the school doesn't have to bring their gun from home and smuggle it in their backpack, they can just steal their teacher's gun instead. Brilliant!
I agree though, so many people in academia are really clumsy physically. Teachers are required to be trained in CPR and basic first aid, and I was worried about messing that up somehow, so I can't imagine what my reaction would have been if that training included firearms. :|

Believe in yourself~ It's like Mousy said, there are gonna be people coming at you from all angles trying to tell you how to do your job, but stay strong and trust your instincts. You can make a difference! :)

Man, I don't remember the last time I saw a deer. In the UP, I could look out my window and it was basically a 50-50 chance there'd be a deer in the yard. :P I guess I'm probably too close to the city.
I don't really go out unless I have good reason to. Like I said, I'm an introvert. But it's still nice knowing I have friends that would be there for me if I need them. And it's nice knowing that if I did want to meet more people, I could.
Honestly, cops should not be picking people up for victimless crimes. With all these schools getting shot up, I know they have better shit to deal with. :|

@Mousy: Elementary school teachers are so important! If kids don't have good teachers in their early development, it can make things really difficult for them later in life.

It's such a shame that all of the people who actually make decisions about education are either politicians with no teaching experience or retired teachers who haven't taught a class since the 80s when most schools didn't even have computers. It's hard not to feel small and powerless against those people, but you're right - keep caring and fighting for the students! If we do it right, the younger generation will be even more awesome than we are!

@Anarchist beauty: Yeah, discord has been a lot nicer to me, haha.
Sean, 25, they/them

Donator — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2018/03/20 09:41:35 )
-sneaks on in good morning everyone-
It was warm for a few day now it is cold,
we are to be having more snow. When it is
our springtime which sort of sucks. To be
having snow in Spring. I want soring so bad

Voltie — She, her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/21 09:28:40 )
I am struggling with navigating this forum on a tablet. I've gone back instead of forward so many times. O.O I don't know how many tries it took me to get to the most recent page, but it felt like too many.

On a different subject, I've got some sort of illness p, it's weird my ears are clogged, I've never experienced this until now. I miss not having my ears clogged, give me the illness where I just feel gross and stuffy-not that I don't feel gross now, I do but this cloggedness gotta go.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/22 04:22:50 )

@Amaryllis: All of that sounds like a pain in the butt.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/22 21:40:24 )

@DemonicGaara: Heyo.
It goes alright.
I'm kinda sad though.
The took Zootopia off Netflix. :c
I always watched that movie.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/23 21:29:33 )

@DemonicGaara: I downloaded it instead. lmao
Now I will always have it.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/24 05:11:19 )

@DemonicGaara: I always do.
It's one of my favorites.

Voltie — She, her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/24 06:49:45 )
Anarchist Beauty:

@DemonicGaara: Heyo.
It goes alright.
I'm kinda sad though.
The took Zootopia off Netflix. :c
I always watched that movie.

NOOOOOO!!!! I wanted to rewatch it again since I'm on spring break now. Now I can't T-T
Please call me Amary~
Name pronunciation: (Ah.Mah.Real.Is)

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/24 18:53:19 )

@Amaryllis: Torrent that bitch. lol

Donator — Anything Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/31 05:11:43 )

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck. The new event started and I'm a week late to teh game. *Sighs*

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/31 20:16:17 )

@AliceinZombieland: Poor Alice

Donator — Anything Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/31 23:02:40 )

@Anarchist Beauty: Your avvy is looking supes cute though.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/03/31 23:10:43 )

@AliceinZombieland: Yaas bitch, cute and ready to kick some aaaaass.

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/04/2 09:39:37 )
Good morning, looks at the temp. For today yikes -hides under the covers- it is going to be pretty cold out, and snow tomorrow.
If you can’t say something nice, Don’t say anything at all!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.