Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat What do you do when...

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/28 12:51:15 )

You want to buy someone a present, but have no idea what they like?

There is a girl, who was friends with my brother for years, until she got in a relationship and moved away. They kinda lost contact, until she broke up with her (now ex) girlfriend.
She had to move out of their house, moved back to our town (into our neighbourhood), decided to get sober and got back in contact with my brother. She lost all of her other friends (first when she came out as a lesbian and later when she broke up).

Today is the funeral of the grandmother of this one girl and her birthday is next Wednesday. We never were really close and I don't know much about her.
Basically, all I know is that she likes hard style music, isn't a girly girl and recently got a cat (what is a mix of a main coon and will become huge).

So I'm here like "...a plants, I guess?"

What do you do in these cases?

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/28 12:55:22 )

A nice card and some money or a giftcard is what you usually do when you don't know what to give someone.
Flowers and sweets are other generic gifts i suppose.

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/28 13:00:18 )

@Monorea: I never was someone to give money or giftcards
And flowers would work, if I knew what kind of flowers she likes and sweets would work if I knew if she had any allergies and what she likes

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/28 14:02:47 )

@Tuijp: For bouquets a safe bet is something that looks good but doesn't have a strong smell and if you actually want to give someone a potted plant then a succulent would be a safer choice since they require less care than other things.
As for avoiding allergies maybe a dark high quality chocolate, many of those are milk free, not all people like dark chocolate tho.

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/28 14:18:09 )

@Monorea: there are way more allergies than just lactose. With chocolate, lots of factories also make things with peanuts and other nuts and people can be allergic to sugar and chocolate itself. =/

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/28 15:23:28 )
    I'm hopeless at buying gifts, but I second the suggestion of a gift card :)

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/06/28 18:20:02 )

@Tuijp: It is the tought that counts and as for nuts just check the packaging, it will say can contain traces of nuts if in such a case.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.