Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Therapy/Stress/Vent

Donator — He/She Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/21 01:21:28 )
I'm nervous to go back to therapy next week. I haven't seen my therapist in a minute, and I feel like every time I go to her I'm lying.

I know it's a process to get healthy but I've been on a downward slope lately. I still haven't touched the PTSD workbook that she lent me. Getting inside my own mind is tough and whenever anyone asks me very personal questions I draw a blank. I can hardly answer any questions in that book.

She told me to stop taking on other's problems as my own, but when my girlfriend is stressed and unhappy, so am I. I don't know if I can help it. I also don't know if I can look at my therapist in the eyes and say I'm fine.

The antidepressants I have, I can't really tell if they're working. I've never had a problem with energy or anything before so I'm not sure what they're supposed to do? They don't really make me happy, that's something I have to do on my own, but I guess my anxiety has been down but I still get nervous to speak in public.

I've had a couple of ups but I'm down again. I just want to feel like a normal person. At least once.

If anyone reads this let me know how your therapy's going, or not, up to you.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/21 01:28:49 )

You shouldn't have to lie to your therapist. The only way for them to help you is to know what you're going through. It's ok if you don't finish assignments, but it is worth trying to understand why as there's usually something there causing that block. That's something your therapist can help with.

You're right in that it does take time to feel better, but the longer you bottle up what you're feeling the longer it will take. I also know it's hard to open up so I understand it's not just a switch you can flip. But she is being paid to listen to your problems and help you find a solution so be sure to take advantage of that as best you can.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Donator — Miz/Mizzy Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/21 04:14:38 )
I'm also going to be heading back to therapy, it's a hard yet powerful thing to do

therapy isn't for everyone either, but if it benefits you then that's all that matters

i haven't been to therapy since about the beginning of 2015, I'm also going to be cutting ties with my abusive parents & working thru that while still juggling my personal life, work life, art life & the fact that i'm moving as well

BUT i hope you find what youre looking for dude! it'll take time & you gotta weed thru those therapists to find that right one ya know ? but within time you'll get there man ! i wish you all the luck!!

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/21 04:36:52 )

@Jockteleg: hey there. I see a therapist too. And I want you to know that they aren’t judging like other people. They don’t think people are good or bad they think and work hard to help others. lying is a bad idea .^^; It’s ok if work doesn’t get done though.
I think what your therapist is trying to say about you being sad when others are sad is it’s good to have empathy but when it hiders you, and you aren’t actually going through it that’s not good boundaries. (I know because I have the same problem and that’s what my therapist told me). Having good boundaries doesn’t stop you from caring about others.
I also have PTSD but the therapy has really helped me.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/21 05:09:21 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@Jockteleg: I just got a new therapist, and omg, I FEEL THE SAME WAY YOU DO. When she asks me personal questions, I draw a blank and panic, which leads me to BS an answer, but when I’m driving home I’m able to think of the proper answer to all the questions easily. I feel bad about my bs answers because it does make me feel like I’m lying about my answers, but it’s not like I’m trying to be dishonest on purpose or to throw her off. ): Wish she would just send me home with the list of stuff she plans to ask so I can write down my answers.
This therapist is better than my last, but still not sure if she is right for me if I’m acting this way...

As for the antidepressants... they might be working. They’re not supposed to make you feel happy, but you are supposed to feel less shitty since they help with some of depression’s other symptoms. Though sometimes the change isn’t noticeable, which leads people to get off their meds. I would bring this up to your therapist just in case.
I always had bad side effects with antidepressants, so I think it’s awesome that you’re not experiencing any.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — He/She Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/21 12:38:36 )
@Tsundererra: You hit the nail right on the head. I feel the exact same way. It's not that I'm nervous about talking to her either (she has a service dog there for this reason) but I just go completely blank.

Although I have to admit I do feel better than since I first started, so I know it's working. But I'll bring up the antidepressants. They're also supposed to also treat anxiety and though I do feel less anxious in general I still get the spikes of panic I used to until I practice calming down.

My friends have also told me about their side effects and I'm honestly glad I haven't experienced any either!

Donator — He/She Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/21 12:41:48 )
@Totalanimefan: Oh yeah, I've talked about setting boundaries with her and still currently working through them with my friends + girlfriend.

I honestly didn't expect her to tell me I had PTSD though. Guess it kinda shattered my whole perspective of it.

Donator — He/She Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/21 12:46:10 )
@mizuie: It sounds like you're heading in the right direction and I'm glad!

Though I don't feel I have options for other therapists. I chose her specifically because I knew she wasn't going to bullshit me or bring religion into it. So far she's doing good on both ends, and though she brings up God it's for a good reason (like saying that she believes God puts people in our lives to teach us things).

I'm also trying to move away from my abusive parents but it's tough because the rent around here is expensiiivveee and I've got two dogs. Wish renters would see how sweet my Staffordshire terrier is.

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/21 16:38:35 )

@Jockteleg: yeah it’s not just for solders. It can happen to anyone. I’m sorry you had to go through a traumatic event.
It takes a long time. I’m a year in, but it will help you be more at peace. Maybe you could see her every other week instead of weekly?

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/21 17:10:36 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@Jockteleg: It sounds like therapy is working out for you really well then. :) You have a decent therapist~ I would suggest bringing up the blanking out on answering too next time they ask something. I’m planning on doing it for my own visit as well, because I think it’s throwing off my therapist... I wish there was a service dog at my sessions to take off the edge when I blank out with my answers. xD

I’ve never taken medicine for anxiety, so I’m curious if they’re supposed to completely nullify all feelings of anxiety. My mom takes them, but she used to get shakes from anxiety, so I think that was her main concern.

And I felt the way you did when I got told I had PTSD. I’ve only ever heard of soldiers or peeps who’ve survived something life threatening get them, so it kinda made me see trauma in a different way.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

The truth behind Reaping Ritual 2019

Art by the rightful Mayor, Kiwi

Donator — Miz/Mizzy Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/27 05:55:52 )
@Jockteleg: I think it also depends on your location, insurance & other factors sadly - as well as your state - my main therapist that helped me a lot when I lived in South FL was about a 35 min drive from my home. Then when I went to Jacksonville FL ? The nearest one within my insurance & area was an hour / hour & 30 min drive (my parents lived really far away from the city in Jacksonville). The catch as well via 3 times free for about 30 min & then every time after that was a $120 - $150 copay.

Where I live now & the fact that I'm off of my parents insurance? I have A L O T more options then what I had before. Thank you as well, that means a lot ♡

I had a total of 3 therapists before that tried to do religious intent. The last one tho I don't really count? (I walked out the 2nd session when I said up front 'no religious shit' word for word to that lady. The 1st and 2nd time I was also upfront with that word for word but cut them slack here & there. The 1st one tho I only gave 4 times before the 5th time I was like - n o p e.

I think that God puts people in our lives to teach us things is good as she says, for certain people I think - that's one of the main things with religious people, to make those people feel like someoneis always there with them kinda thing. That's also why my grandmother wears a cross so that when she touches it, it calms her because she thinks that there is someone there always with her. For me it's just meh, not for me yo bring it to someone else. It's a mindset kind thing I suppose.

you can do it pal

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.