Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat pixel artists: where do i start??

Voltie — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/22 01:28:12 )

so i wanna start doing pixel arts. but i have 0 idea how to start-- i have both paint tool sai & clip studio;; are these acceptable for pixel art?
what size canvas should i use?

if you have any tips + links to good information, please share!

Donator — Your Queen Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/22 01:53:18 )
Let me start with saying your username is amazing.

Now I’ll tell you how I started. I literally just opened up a random sized canvas on GIMP, cause that’s free and I’m poor, and just started doing random designs pixel by pixel. Getting a feel for where things go, how to make proper curves, diagonals, etc.
One of the first things I pixelled was grass, because of the way the blades sit I thought it was good practice. So I googled how to pixel grass and then I just did it, over and over. I also googled “pixel art tutorial,” and did a couple simple ones.
After you have the basics figured out you’ll be able to tell what size canvas you’ll need for a certain project.
Then you have to learn shading.
I sell art.
I'm buying art.

Donator — He/She Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/22 03:27:41 )
Find an art program you're comfortable with. For me its MS paint, but you can use any program with a binary pen (should be any of them). Only reason why you would use a program instead of what's built-in is for the layers option.

Take it slow, pixel art takes practice. There are plenty of great tutorials on Deviantart. I'm currently learning from this one to make bottles because I want to open some kind of art shop soon.

Paint tool sai should be good enough.

You should start with warmups. Make small objects like hearts and challenge yourself. For example, you could make a heart in a 3x3 dimension, then go up to 6x6, adding detail and so on. I would also encourage doing bases or sprite edits because that's how I learned to get better. It's easy to do a sprite edit because it challenges you to make it blend into the art.

Look at you strawberry blonde!

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/22 03:38:00 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

This is so cool. I want to try to learn how to make pixel art properly now.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Voltie — they/them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/22 07:31:16 )
A good place to start is to look up tutorials.

http://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299 is a very thorough guide. It covers the basics very well, goes over common mistakes, and even gets into more advanced techniques. Even an experienced artist could learn something here.
http://www.yarrninja.com/pixeltutorial/ is another in-depth guide mainly focused on creating assets for video games.
https://www.kawaiihannah.com/pixelart/tutorials/ there are some tutorials here mainly focused on dolling. Great if you mainly want to make characters.
https://lospec.com/pixel-art-tutorials this is a directory of pixel art tutorials. you can find some good stuff here.

There were some other sites I used for tutorials back in the day but they don't seem to be around anymore. :(

And you can always look on google to find more. There are tons out there; you can find something for just about anything you need help with. Also, general art tutorials are also relevant in pixel art. A good foundation in things like composition, color theory, anatomy, etc. is just as relevant in pixel art as any other medium.

You can use just about any graphics software to do pixel art, as long as you restrict what tools you use. No fuzzy brushes, blending, gradients, etc. I started out making pixel art in OHRRPGCE which was this REALLY oldschool DOS-based game maker. Then for the longest time I used Microsoft Paint. The program I use these days is Graphics Gale. It's free (there used to be a paid version but they made it 100% free back in 2017) and it's specifically made for pixel art. Other pixel art specific programs that are popular include Aseprite and Pyxel Edit but I am not really as familiar with those and I don't think they are free.

The size of canvas you use is up to you. It takes longer to make larger things, but it is easier to fit in the details you want. A smaller canvas is simpler, but it can be a challenge to fit everything into a smaller space. It's better to start out making smaller things and work your way up. A lot of the times I'll start making something big and never finish. In general, I'd recommend staying under 300x300 pixels for pixel art, although I've definitely broken that rule plenty of times. Around 32x32 to 100x100 is a pretty fun size to work in; it's quick to make lots of little cute things that size. I tend to make a lot of characters between 100-200 pixels tall. It's a good size to be able to fit in more details without being too big of a project.

Hopefully that helps. If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer. Can't wait to see what you make!

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/22 16:34:53 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@Olivine: This was super helpful. Thank you~ Are you going to post some of your finished pixel work on here someday? :D It would be cool to see.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Voltie — they/them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/22 16:39:14 )
@Tsundererra: I might. These days I start a lot more than I finish. Working full time leaves a lot less time for art.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/22 16:41:56 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@Olivine: I know about that all too well.
You could still make a gallery of your old completed pixels, if you have any you’d like to share. :) You sound like you’ve got a lot of experience with pixel art, and it would be cool to see.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

The truth behind Reaping Ritual 2019

Art by the rightful Mayor, Kiwi

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/22 16:47:37 )

Learning traditional art can also help you as you'll be learning about shadows and lighting which can help your pixels come to life.

I also recommend tutorials by mortmort on YouTube as they're very good and cover a wide range of things.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Voltie — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/23 02:31:50 )

@Queen of Trash:
@Priestess of Pie:
@Alethna:
@Olivine:
@Jockteleg:

Thank you all for your tips! <3 I appreciate it so much!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.