Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Middy's Adventures in Cooking

Donator — Scrublord Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/21 02:23:28 )

... Trying to cook a steak for like the first time in forever. I don't have a barbecue though so it's probably gonna be awful. .---.

Donator — Any Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/21 02:25:43 )
I haven't had steak in years, but I remember pan searing it worked out just fine.

[Quests][Store]

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/21 02:27:22 )

Remember to salt it

Donator — Scrublord Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/21 02:33:46 )

@Kira:
Yeah, you do that to seal the juices in or something

@Totalanimefan:
Yup! I used some lime to help tenderize it too. XD I just feel like it's gonna be impossible to replicate BBQ glory.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/21 02:36:57 )

@MidnightRaid: Hell yeah. Using lime is great!

Donator — Scrublord Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/21 02:39:08 )

@totalanimefan:
I know right? It's such a cooking hack, especially when you're dealing with tougher cuts of meat. :'3 Can make garbage steak taste good. I first discovered it when I marinated very cheap beef in lemon poppy seed salad dressing and it ended up being the most tender thing I've had. XD My mom was appalled when I told her how cheap it was, because she thought I cooked her top quality cuts. Jokes on her, I'm broke.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/21 02:44:20 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

I always used to make a mess cooking steaks on the stove. Then we got a George Foreman grill and that was my hack. xD There’s also this grill metal attachment you can put on gas stoves to make it cook like an outdoor grill. Found one for $2 at goodwill. I don’t really eat as much beef anymore, so I’ve been using it to grill vegetables, tofu, and chicken.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — Scrublord Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/21 02:50:46 )

@Tsundererra:
XD Omg, I love those things but they're such a pain in the ass to clean out.

I'm with you on that on though. I find beef is generally expensive and too easy to screw up when you're cooking it.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/21 03:06:21 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@MidnightRaid: Omg, they are a pain to clean out! That’s why there are times I just go NOPE and use my air fryer instead.

I think I only get beef when I eat out now because it’s still expensive, but at least it’ll be made right. xD

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/21 03:08:14 )

@MidnightRaid: That's the trick and you figured it out early.

Donator — Scrublord Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/21 03:09:22 )

@Tsundererra:
Ooo, I've heard about them, but never used one. How are air fryers?
:'3 Hahahahaha! Yup! Still pricey but it should be edible at least.

@Totalanimefan:
Hurrr hurr. I'm a secret genius, allegedly. Cooking for me is literally just slapping crap together and hoping it works. Sometimes the results are unexpected.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/21 03:23:47 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@MidnightRaid: Yo, airfryers are the best thing EVER. I use them for everything except for soups now. You can bake in them, grill/fry in them, or reheat stuff, and for a fraction of the time and oil use. But you have to make sure to get a good brand that has lots of good reviews, or you’ll end up with something that doesn’t work as well.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — Scrublord Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/21 03:26:48 )

@tsundererra:
Oh wow, that's cool! I had no idea you could use them for baking and stuff. XD I need to invest in a fryer of sorts because making french fries in a pot of boiling oil is terrifying at best.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/21 03:28:41 )

@MidnightRaid: I feel like I can come up with something that sounds good in my head but then I don't know how long to cook things for or what order to make them in and how much of each do I need?
I did put something together last night that was leftover stuff and it tasted great!

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — Scrublord Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/21 03:32:17 )

@totalanimefan:
I'm nefarious for not following recipes, even if I'm baking. oo' Haven't had anything disastrous yet. When in doubt, at least with cooking, slap some butter or garlic on it and it basically fixes anything. XD

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/21 03:46:53 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@MidnightRaid: Air fryers are the best for fries and buffalo wings! You should look into getting one during Black Friday. Saw some really good deals on them.

Also, wish I could cook like you. I need a base recipe first, and then I change it each time I make it until it’s perfect. I didn’t even know about the lime thing for steaks. T__T

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/21 03:57:13 )

@MidnightRaid: You don't need a barbecue/grill! The steakhouse way to cook one is to sear it in a cast iron skillet, then bake it at a low temp with butter on top. You can use any oven safe pan really, but cast iron gives it a nice crust.

I hope your steak turns out good. c:

Donator — Scrublord Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/21 04:10:19 )

@Lufi:
XD Welp, it had the consistency of rib roast but it still tasted good. Oooo, cast iron though. I need to get one.

>Resident robot dumpster fire<

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/21 04:18:46 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@Lufi: Ahhhhh, you’re right! I’ve always wanted a cast iron skillet because there are so many great recipes you can use it for, but I got intimidated by the care and coat seasoning instructions. .__.

It seems like such a handy thing too since you can cook stuff on the stove with it, and then move it into the oven too.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

The truth behind Reaping Ritual 2019

Art by the rightful Mayor, Kiwi

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/21 05:10:41 )

@MidnightRaid: Aw, at least it tasted good!

@Tsundererra: They are hard to take care of in my opinion. :c I'm pretty lazy and like to let my pans sit around for a few hours before cleaning them, so cast iron is a chore for me. They are totally worth it though, at least for things like steak and pan pizza.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.