Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk bad dreams

Voltie — they/he/it Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/22 06:15:58 )
i have an issue with dreams. i have all kinds of dreams. i have confusing dreams, violent dreams, weird dreams, dreams where people from my past come back to haunt me, dreams where the people i love die horribly and it's all my fault, but i don't have good dreams. i hate my dreams. the only time i have good dreams is when i go off my antipsychotics, but those are more delirium caused by withdrawals than anything else. is anyone else stuck with dark dreams? i'd like to know if i'm not alone.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/22 09:13:49 )

Yeah I do. I often say that I have stressful dreams because I wouldn't really call them nightmares. Those are much worse.
My stressful dreams would be like being late for something important like a flight or work, never being able to get to where I'm trying to go, or getting into a huge fight with someone like my mom. I even have had dreams where my family or someone I cared about was abusing me.

I don't know if I'm stuck in only having bad dreams as I have multiple dreams in one night, sometimes related and sometimes not. I think that they are brought out my stress in our life.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/22 13:14:58 )
Sounds like you are in need of some lucid dreaming! Lucid dreaming, if you don't know, is the ability to be aware when you are dreaming and change the course of said dream. I do so naturally these days due to my narcolepsy, but there are techniques available to start doing so without weird brain anomalies. One that worked well for me before my narcolepsy symptoms showed up: Do reality checks while you are awake. My dreams never let technology work, so any time I hopped on a computer, or checked the time on my phone, I'd ask myself if I was dreaming. Pretty soon, you'll start doing this new habit in the dream world... and it becomes easier to recognize the absurdity of your dream.... at first, the shock may simply wake you up, but, with time and practice, you can easily influence the direction of the dream.
There are many techniques out there for lucid dreaming, a quick google search can be quite informative on the subject. I don't have bad dreams anymore, I usually just "nope" so hard that they go away. It takes a while to learn and master, but if you keep at it, it is a great tool to have.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/22 17:54:52 )

I usually only have bad dreams when I'm worried about something. Like my brain is trying to reconcile my stress. Sometimes it can help bring insight to a problem you're struggling with on the subconscious level, but only if you can recognize what the dream was caused by. Brains are weird yo.

Donator — Trashboat Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/22 21:26:40 )
@misery: you are definitely not alone!! I have ptsd and cant seem to get rid of my bad dreams. Cant remember the last time I had a good dream. Actuslly this morning I had one of those sleep-paralysis weird dreams with my eyes open. It really scared me. Lol. I am always dreaming of death. Most of the time it is me getting killed. Or like you said, just violent dreams or dark dreams in general. And I'm a bad teeth grinder/clencher so I usually wake up in pain Dx

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/22 22:26:50 )

@Laufeia: Ooof I'm a teeth grinder too. Do you have a night guard yet? If not please get one before you grind your teeth away to nothing like me. T^T It doesn't help with pain though.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Voltie — they/he/it Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/22 23:39:51 )
@Glume: i've read about lucid dreaming before in my psychology class but i never considered it as an option. maybe that would be the best course of action though :0

Donator — Trashboat Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/23 00:13:38 )
@Priestess of Pie: yeah I am getting a new one tonight because my other one got messed up. >_< I didn’t have it last night.
Shop | Hangout | Quest

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/9 16:39:58 )
You aren't alone, in the slightest. My dreams have gotten worse over the years. I don't sleep well, I work night shift and when I do sleep, these dreams wake me up within a few hours.

I've tried sleep aids, mainly diphenhydramine, but I still wake up way too soon and with that hazy and groggy feeling that pills give. Melatonin worked for a while, but it makes my dreams more vivid and memorable, so I stopped on that, too.

Think it is all the pent up sadness/anxiety through the day that manifests itself in the mind, when you don't have to focus on functioning as a human being. Meditation and as said above, lucid dreaming, helps put yourself at ease. Reaffirms you're still alive, still well, there's no danger, and that sleep is meant to relax and repair the body. These are just dreams, after all. They can't hurt you, even if it seems they will. Once you recognize that you're dreaming, it's a process of remembering that dreams too, will pass.

Honestly, it's been exercising more, getting up and wearing myself out, working, drinking and smoking (don't start, terrible and expensive habits. doesn't help with the insomnia, just the initial blacking out but you still wake up in a few hours, feeling worse).
Staying in bed makes me restless and frustrated. Sometimes, a breath of fresh air to clear the head helps a lot.

Nightmares are terrible and you need sleep. I hope for the best, you can overcome this <3

Donator — Trash Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/13 00:45:05 )

Since 1103 posts.

I've had this reoccurring dream about something chasing me since I was young. When I was younger I remember that what was chasing me ended up being some monster and I was terrified and woke up in cold sweat. As I got older I noticed that when I get this same dream I wasn't as afraid and I remember one time where in my dream I killed it. Recently I had the same dream of something chasing me but I outran it. I sometimes ponder why I have this dream but I try not to think too much of it.

Art Thread | Garage Sale

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/14 10:21:56 )

I love dreaming. But I get really scared when I dream of scary moments of my childhood. Sometimes I wake up again as a child being beaten. Those dreams I cannot handle. I always wake up in a cold sweat. And I hug my little one. I hug her tight. Because those dreams are so scary.

°<°art by Keturah🖤🦖🖤

Donator — haunting Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/14 16:45:01 )
i have bad dreams a lot - nearly every night, recently. i think it's caused by stress. i don't usually wake up from them though, or if i do it's right before my alarm.

i have nightmares sometimes. those are usually caused by a physical sensation for me, though, and they always wake me up. for example i had a nightmare i was being squeezed to death, but the nightmare was triggered due to an injury in my back. i was having a bad muscle spasm in my sleep. i also have nightmares when my blood sugar drops too low in my sleep (i have a metabolic disorder, so this isn't something you need to worry about for yourself) which wakes me up, i can tell i'm not right, i eat some sugary snacks i keep by my bed and that's that ezpz.

mostly i would say the bad dreams that don't qualify as nightmares are worse. i'm able to shake off the nightmares. they might leave me "off" for a little while but it's just fear, and fear can be stifled. i really especially don't like the bad dreams that involve topics deeper than just fear - loneliness. sadness. loss. grief. helplessness. those stick with me for a long time. they change my mindset and the way i look at the world.

sometimes i have dreams that look, feel, and generally are great in the moment, but upon waking up, i realize the dream is unattainable and then i am worse off than i was before. dreaming about things like safety, love, and comfort make my mindset really bad as i often have emotions in dreams that i can't summon when i'm awake. i will never have some of the things i dream about. that makes me really upset.

hello again

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.