Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Exchange [b] ohms [s] winter orb items and event items

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/3 23:45:18 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@pagliacci: Good luck with your exam tomorrow, and the remaining two after that. :’D You’ll be free after Monday!

Omg, your science-y and math classes are hurting my brain. Ooooof, I could not do physics that early. x__x Also, RIP your Monday’s next semester. Such a loooong school day! At least you got that big break in between, but that can be a blessing and a curse depending on how much work you’re given for your other classes.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/4 19:45:15 )

@Tsundererra: I think I'm going to use that break to work on my math. > _ > I tend to struggle if I don't work on math stuff multiple times a week.

This will be my first day with five days a week instead of four (my campus is usually closed on Fridays, but my bio class in the spring is ornithology and a quieter campus is better for bird spotting). I HATE early mornings, but I guess I better become a morning person REAL quick rofl.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/4 20:00:05 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@pagliacci: I wish I had your gumption when it came to studying math. I can’t seem to get my brain to want to do it if I don’t have to.

Omg, ornithology sounds like an awesome class though. :O What is your major? Because from all of your classes, it sounds like you’re aspiring to be a super scientists. xD
The good thing about morning classes is that they finish early, so it’s nice when they’re the only class you have that day. Not so nice if it’s one of many, with your last one ending in the evening. )x

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/4 20:25:49 )

@Tsundererra: I really don't like math at all. It's not something I'm interested in, but it is necessary for future research. I have a natural knack for it, but I forget formulas/steps if I don't keep it fresh in my mind.

My major is biology with a concentration in environmental sciences. :D I do hope to be a scientist/conservationist in the future! I'll actually begin my first steps into real research next semester (I have been invited to accompany a professor in moth research as well as design my own research for noise pollution and its effects on songbirds).

My only issue with morning classes is that I have insomnia so I take ambien to sleep. > _ > Sometimes I take it too late and struggle to get up. It's like trying to run through waist deep water.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/4 20:43:53 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@pagliacci: We really need more conservationists, especially with the sad state of the world. Your research plans for next semester sound exciting. I’m a bird person, so I’m curious what you’ll learn from the effects of sound pollution on songbirds. Do you know how these researches will be conducted? I know microbiologists and chemists conduct their researches in a closed lab environment, but idk how researches involving animal observation would be conducted.

Ahhh, I have bad insomnia too, and I feel you on struggling to wake up if you take the sleep aids too late. x__x At least it’s will only be for a couple of months.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/4 20:53:45 )

@Tsundererra: There's already a lot of really interesting data about noise pollution and birds/songbirds. (Some songbirds lose their ability to communicate effectively or they are unable to be heard over the noise which in turn makes it difficult for them to warn about predators. However, bigger birds who are egg thieves/predators may leave the area while smaller birds who can adjust their song will stay and thrive due to the loss of predators. There are positives and negatives, and it's really interesting how birds adapt.) My research will likely be about our local bird communities (my college is directly beside a highway that produces a ton of noise pollution).

The research could involve any number of things. Video recordings, sound recordings, visual observations (looking for birds, nests, mating, eggs, etc). We can also determine if there has been a loss of certain bird communities based on if there is a decrease in certain fauna/tree growth (as birds spread seeds!).

< _ < A big part of research is reading. That's what I'll be doing over this winter break - reading all kinds of studies and papers related to the subject and just kind of try to come up with my oen testable questions or find a new way to test already asked questions.

I honestly just need to be smart about my meds and take them on time, lol. XD

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/4 21:06:31 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@pagliacci: Oh shiet, I had a hunch the noise pollution would effect the way they communicate, but I didn’t know what the consequences of that would be or that it could drive away the larger, predator birds. It’s also interesting to see you check fauna and trees to determine if there was a loss of birds in the community.

How do you keep track of the birds you observe and their nests? Will you be tagging them, or just taking notes visually? I love watching documentaries on stuff like this. Your major just sounds so hands on and exciting. :) And you’ll be doing a lot of good.

It’s easy to forget to take them if you’ve had a long day and doing other things. I hope you’re able to take them early so you can have no issues waking up early next semester.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/4 22:08:40 )

@Tsundererra: I think a good way to determine whether the birds leave or not is if they abandon their nests, if they stay to lay/hatch their eggs, and if their children continue to nest in the area. It's a really long process. (One of my professors was studying the color of blue bird eggs for her doctorate, and it took her eight years to complete it. She JUST submitted her dissertation on the subject. Though, she discovered something that proved A LOT of people wrong, so that's pretty cool.) XD I wouldn't have the funds to tag the birds (unless I somehow come up with something amazing and get funding rofl - very unlikely, undergraduate research isn't typically that groundbreaking and a lot of that is due to funds).

I think the hands on aspect of biology is what made me change my major. I started college with the idea of getting my bachelors in nursing, and then changed to premed. > _ > But I took Microbiology and thought it was super freaking cool, and then had a professor who introduced me to campus research. I switched my concentration this past summer from premed to environmental sciences. * u *

Yes, here's to hoping! I'm going to start setting an alarm to remind me. > w <

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/4 22:21:26 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@pagliacci: It sounds like it would be a long process, though it seems like it happens in such a shorter time when you read about it or watch documentaries on stuff like this. Ooof man, congrats on your professor for finishing their doctorate thesis. It looks like all of her hard research paid off, and now we know something new.
I wish schools and governments funded all the scientific researches. It’s amazing the things we can learn if we have the right resources and people working together. ^^

I didn’t even know Biology could get hands on like that. My only experiences have been when I had to dissect frogs and pigs, and get my dna sample from chewing the side of my mouth and swabbing. A lot of people change their majors the more classes they explore and professors they meet. When I was a student, started off as a psychology major, then an art game design major, and finally switched to linguistics with a minor in Japanese language and culture. I’m glad you’ve found the direction you want to go with school. :) It sounds like this is something you’re very passionate and knowledgeable about.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

The truth behind Reaping Ritual 2019

Art by the rightful Mayor, Kiwi

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/11 01:26:33 )

@pagliacci: I would like to buy a mug please <3
And how much is vregory's friendand dreamers dreaming?

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/13 01:42:47 )

@inatlaka: OMGosh, I'm so sorry I never saw this ping.
    Are you still interested in any of those?

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/13 21:34:37 )

@pagliacci: yes! how much ? :)

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/13 22:53:38 )

@inatlaka: For all three (Unique Oversized Mug, Vregory's Friends, Dreamers Dreaming) I'd be willing to do 3.5k.

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/13 23:04:48 )

@pagliacci: okay! I have sent trade <3

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/13 23:14:24 )

@inatlaka: <3 Thank you so much.

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/13 23:16:41 )

@pagliacci: you're welcome <3

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/17 06:31:31 )

Boop.

Voltie — She/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/17 06:41:40 )
@pagliacci: I'd like to buy a unique baroque skirt and unique oversized mug~

★~~Questing~~★

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/17 07:24:15 )

@Starlight: Okie doke! I'll send trade!

A reminder to drink water and take your vitamins.

QUEST

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 03:30:46 )

@pagliacci: tootsie and encore for astrologer?

°<°art by Keturah🖤🦖🖤

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.