Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Artists I need your advice - not for me.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/20 21:50:48 )

A friend of mine is trying to get more commissions for her artwork, but she's been really struggling getting interest. Her husband and I have made suggestions about how to get people. But she has pretty bad social anxiety, and nothing we do seems to get past that. So I was wondering what some y'all do to get confidence or balls to do it?

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/21 02:03:22 )

I don't know if I can help much but I think she should take her time with it and do what she can in her ability at the moment. You don't gain a lot of customers overnight, I'm sure that takes time. But then again I don't really have a business standpoint over this because I do commissions and post my art online just for fun right now.

But as an artist who can be very anxious even as simple as posting my art online, in my experience that takes awhile to be comfortable with. Eventually I believe your friend will get there, maybe right now she needs to find out what works for her.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/21 02:06:21 )

@PurpdaBurpPurp: She's getting discouraged by all of our friends being more successful than her, and it's just been hard.

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/21 02:06:22 )

Honestly getting commissions is the hardest thing for an artist...the best thing I can think of is for her to (1) keep drawing on her own to improve skills and (2) to advertise/post said art on as many platforms as possible ie: instagram, twitter, tumblr, da, forums, etc. Having friends spread word can help too but even I struggle with getting commissions...

Just a fangirl living in FFXV hell
Multi-shipper shipping: Ignoct & Gladnoct

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/21 02:29:14 )

@Another Movie Addict: Ah I see x.x
I can understand the feeling very well.

Art DumpAvatar GalleryQuest Items

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/21 03:19:53 )

Don't push for 'em.
Literally art. Post somewhere. Have a mention like 'I'm available for commissions', but don't push it.
If no bites come, continue arting, continue improving your work, and keep posting. Keep posting. Etc.
Eventually clients will come.

Or step into the NSFW market as there seems to be more work to be paid for in that area

Edit to add:
If she comes off as pushy with it, it will eventually drive people away. Not that I think she will, intentionally, but I deal with social anxiety myself and sometimes my offhand mentions when I submit somewhere, it can come off as being so awkward it's begging.

My Youtube. I upload Tuesdays

Ping me. always
ALWAYS looking for art of my Characters
If you do art, PM me

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.