Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Artist Galleries Art dump ✧゚・: *ヽ(・∀・ノ) * :・゚✧ feel free to chat ✧ ・゚ *

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/15 12:00:55 )
**** (> o . o <) ****

They look really good (o . o )! Gotta love the way you colour the lighting and those art attacks (even though I don't know much about it (^_^; )

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/15 23:43:59 )
════════════════ ∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

@keturah: oh gosh not at all lol and there's no pressure for responding to me ^^
btw love the long blue hair elf one!!

thanks so much for sharing your process!! i love the process videos too ^^ it's so helpful and interesting and it's great that you're recording and sharing them! (sorry i didn't interact w them lol - normally i would like them but wanna keep irl identity separate)

i watched a video on loish's process yesterday and i think it's similar -- sketch, sketch, flat color under, merge + paint on top, etc (sharing the video in case you're interested but no pressure at all to watch it lol. tho it was really interesting to me to see the initial sketch vs. end result!) i think i wanna try a similar process! usually for painting i have a reference photo and just lay down color w/o a sketch, but i can't really get it to work for character art, esp with facial features, so i'm excited to give this approach a try (and it seems like a common recommended standard) :3

i think i've been feeling p inspired lately :-) i did some landscape studies over the weekend and have been wanting to do more painting but don't really have ideas... can i join art fight wo sharing a character? lol

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘ ════════════════════════════════

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/16 14:34:27 )
@xvz:
No worries! It's nice to talk to a fellow artist about something we're both passionate about, haha. I don't have many or any artist friends IRL so it's nice to have that change!
Thanks so much! The blue haired girl was me trying out some gorgeous watercolour Max pack brushes so I'm glad it came out well!
and no stress about not interacting, I was only linking them as an example and not to pressure you into liking/following my work!

Oooo yes, Loish's process does seem pretty similar to how I paint my work. I used to watch a lot of artists back when I was learning how to use photoshop and digital tools to basically copy how they did it and see what I prefer. I do know of some artists who do the colour blob as you say you do, and build on that but I can never get my anatomy right or think out my posing / angles like that, haha. As you can see in a lot of my videos sometimes I sketch things out, scrap them and start again depending on if I feel it's flowing well or not. I can't remember many but I know kiwi Byrd does some great speed process videos. I just loveee looking at the way she paints and blends. Looks sooo clean even from the start!
I think sketching out an idea first is usually more ideal as you're ''SUPPOSED'' to thumbnail alt versions to get the best composition /pose, and often artists find it easier to add details / fix anatomy with line work before painting over it.

That's awesome to hear you've been so inspired!
I really can't wait to do more studies once art fight is over but I'm also really enjoying just painting speedy things for once. I usually take days to do one drawing but have sped up my process a lot for AF.
I don't think you can join without a character as it means people can't attack you so could be considered unfair for the opposite team. You can always just add a selfie or a pet pic as a character if you don't have an OC :)

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/16 14:34:51 )
@chiffonorange:
Ahh thank you so much!!
I've been loving playing around with colour lately so I'm glad it shows nicely!~

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/16 22:34:23 )
**** (> o . o <) ****

@Keturah: You're welcome ^^ and it does!

On an unrelated note, I haven't been drawing that often except for a few doodles lately ^_^;

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/17 02:06:04 )

@keturah: ahh i feel u, i think digital painting is maybe not the most common hobby lol
oo watercolor brushes! i actually made a deviantart account the other day lol so i could download brush packs!

oo love watching process videos!! what was interesting to me abt loish's video was that the initial sketch honestly didn't look like much lol but the end result is so good - it made think a little abt like ... i feel like that process is better in the long run, cuz you get a more dynamic / better composition in the end, but it also to me feels like pressure to do the whole thing lol
like vs. having the initial sketch look good standalone but might feel stiffer? idk
it's also interesting cuz sometimes i've seen process vids where i liked the piece a little better after the sketch+shading stage than the end result, and that happens to me a lot too actually when sometimes the painted version i like less despite all the extra effort lol
it's made me think about how like ideas/composition, sketching, and painting can be like related but separate/distinct skills
i think for sketching it's ok for me to get caught up in details but bad when i do it with painting

ooh i see, maybe i'll put something together then and can catch the last week or two of it!

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/17 22:15:57 )
@chiffonorange:
Ooooo!! Doodles are better than nothing!
Have you just been unmotivated or no time?? no shame in taking a break from drawing for a bit~

@xvz:
That's always surprisingly to me because of how many amazing artists exist online!
there's so many free brushes out there but also so many bad ones!! It takes me forever to find ones I like. I hope you found some!

LOL that's p much a lot of my sketches - > paintings.
The sketch is always a quick gesture of what's in my mind but sometimes I'll change it as I start colouring or think of how to make it fit better with the character ect. I love looking at sketch > final pieces of my work and other artists xD
It's sometimes such a big change!
I definitely had that issue with my sketches being better / felt more fluid before I painted them. It takes awhile longer to get used to keeping that fluidity when adding more detail and more rigid rules to a drawing. I'd like to tHINK I'm quite good at it now, but I'm sure i still have a lot to keep learning * 7 *

Do let me know if you do!! I'd love to see some of the work you create!~

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/17 22:34:15 )

@keturah: that's true there are a lot in certain communities, though there's probably some self selection bias that all the artists are gathered there haha
i'm not sure i can think of any irl friends who do this kind of character art / digital painting
and lol, i haven't loaded them in yet, but i love a good paint texture brush!

i was thinking about this sketch/painting difference thing more and i think it means that i need more character painting practice :-) like sculpting and maybe color picking too, like toning shadows/highlights
looking at my last painting i think hair could also be a good area to work on improving too

do you do a lot of color adjusting as you go? like adjusting sliders for hue/saturation/etc
or do you mostly do color adjusting just with color picking / painting over if you change your mind?

haha ok! i'm hoping to get something together this weekend :-)

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/17 23:31:30 )
**** (> o . o <) ****

@Keturah: True, true. I've been feeling unmotivated lately and yeah, that is true as taking a break is good as well.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/19 10:56:50 )
@xvz:
Very true!!! It always seems like such a large community online but I've definitely seen the overlaps that make you realise just how small it truly is. Like meeting someone years later that you recognise from another sites art community, it's actually kinda comforting.

I haven't seen your last painting but no artist can go wrong with doing some more studies!
I'm planning to do some once Artfight is over. Maybe some compositional ones and lighting ones so find scenes from movies I love and study those.
Colour theory is great and studying what colours classical painters use helped me a LOT with my colours, though I still have a lot more I want to learn and do~

I don't usually change colours much, only because I'm usually working from a character reference so have their base colours decided for me. It's just the hue and saturation I decide what looks best and with lighting I use multiplied layers and overlays so the lighting feels more consistent all over. If I do decide I want to change a part of the paintings colours I usually just use the select tool and hue shift it.

Good luck finding time this weekend!!

@chiffonorange:
Awhhh, yeah a break sounds ideal! No rush to be productive, just do what you feel is right and don't feel guilty for it!

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/19 10:57:45 )

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/19 11:51:34 )
**** (> o . o <) ****

@Keturah: Ah I see. *nods* Thank you for the advice! :3 Btw just wanted to comment on your latest art animation and say I absolutely adore how she blinks her eyes and her dragon's tail's small movement!

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/19 19:26:07 )

@keturah: ur latest piece looks great! ^^ i love horns n moons
the gradient / light markings look really good together too

yes - i remember going to a con once and recognizing some of the artists from online communities :0 i was pretty young then tho and too shy to say anything lol

haha i wasn't sure if it was bad form to post art in someone else's art dump thread lol. i might make a thread at some point tho :0
movie / film studies is such a good idea! i have some screencaps saved on my old computer but not my current one ... i'll try to remember to take more :-)
sketchbook doesn't let you change hue/saturation on a color-by-color basis (like reds only, yellows only, etc.) the way photoshop does, so that has been kind of pain cuz it was such a helpful tool!

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/1 19:33:30 )
So sorry I haven't been active lately!
I injured my hand again so have been self-banned from drawing for 5 days !

It's been a hard 5 days LOL

@chiffonorange:
Thank you so much!!! I'm so flattered you like it~

@xvz:
Thank you so much! I'm really proud of how that animation came out!
It's been awhile since i did character animations and I'm happy to feel more confident with doing them~

I'd love to go to a con when they open back up and it's safe! I'm so socially awkward but I feel like it'd be great to connect with artist peers in my industry. Both to make connections and to get inspired.

Awh haha, I get that! I don't mind if you linked to somewhere you posted them or linked me to the direct images as I did ask! So no fault would be on you~
that;s awesome to hear you've been having fun and learning lots! I checked out your recent work in your shop and I love your coloured commissions~

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/1 23:06:40 )
**** (> o . o <) ****

@Keturah: It's okay and oh dear, I hope you have a speedy recovery soon! *hugs*

You're welcome ^^

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/2 04:47:02 )

@keturah: aw as you should be!!

i haven't been to a con in over a decade i think, but actually was supposed to go to one this year :0 (sadly that did not happen lol)
it's been super interesting to get back into this style of art and seeing how the ecosystem has changed! like now we have artfight, toyhouse, pillowfort, ig/twitter/tumblr, artstation, etc. and ppl get rly good much younger too ? a decade ago i feel like there was mostly just deviantart lol

no pressure at all but i made an art dump thread! i give myself a little critique whenever i finish a piece, i'm genuinely trying to get better so if you ever have tips or feedback i'd be more than happy to receive it ^^
and tysm!! :-))) i feel like i've improved a lot the past few months, much thanks to artfight honestly!! i feel like otherwise i don't really know what to draw / don't have enough characters or ideas to be drawing constantly :-)
i just found out they extended it til 8/10 which i'm happy abt!

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘ ════════════════════════

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/08/2 04:48:15 )

and oh my gosh i hope your hand is ok!! good to rest it, i hope it heals / gets better soon <3

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘ ════════════════════════

⠀∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀ {⠀art shop⠀·⠀gallery⠀·⠀closet⠀}⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀ {⠀buying / questing: capricorn ⠀}⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

art by kiwi and koneko <3

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/1 23:56:38 )
Ooooof
It's been awhile.
Still recovering but I'M ALMOST THERE
!!!

my most recent piece I just finished 5 mins ago

Donator — UWU/ Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/1 23:57:57 )
"Dino Kairu in his natural habitat..

@keturah:

nice!!

Nomming all da cookies likes nobodys business..." -uwu- - Kairu OC
月の兎 ☆★☆ 鹿の光
カイル • WISHLIST

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/2 00:28:43 )
@kairu:
Thank you so much, Kairu<33
( ✧≖ ͜ʖ≖)
art dump ll instagram ll twitter

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.