Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Literature The 50 Book Challenge

Voltie — Sha/female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/22 13:50:33 )

Do it. Get back into reading. :) I actually want to get the proper order of the wizard of Oz books and than go take them out and read them to my girls at bedtime.

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/23 09:34:40 )
╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍
Edited the format for my list, will add spoilers as necessary.
I liked the way it turned out, tbh. Post formats are fun.
About halfway through my latest book. Will update the list as soon as I'm done.

╍╍Gʀᴇᴇᴛɪɴɢꜱ Fʀᴏᴍ╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍Tʜᴇ Lᴏɴᴇʟʏ Cɪᴛʏ╍╍

Donator — She/Crazy Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/24 12:55:25 )

Sounds like a really good plan, Sha!
Do you have a specific version of the Wizard of Oz books?

Terror - That is awesome!
It is pretty great when post formats work out nicely!

Voltie — Sha/female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/26 09:20:19 )

I have to format my post at some point but meh. Not right now xD

Well my library has a pretty large collection because they're wizard of Oz themed.... So I'm reading them the original Frank Baum.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/30 04:48:57 )
I've been slacking on posting my books!

Mostly because I was embarrassed about posting one that I read, but I READ IT AND I LIKED IT. Haha

Nah, I'm not gonna specify which one it was, but I enjoyed it.

*going to add to my list now*

Voltie — Sha/female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/30 09:26:35 )

I don't see why you should be embarrassed by liking books.

I mean my taste in books tends to be young adult and I think it's because I can escape to world's that even if they're action packed dramas are far less stressful and more carefree world's than reality xD

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/31 00:22:12 )
Guess who bought more art tutorial books. Meeee!!
I couldn't help it, they were SUPER discounted at Hobby Lobby. It's the last day of their Spring sale!
I will update my list with these books when I am done bc I feel like even if it's not a novel, it's still knowledge.

Voltie — Sha/female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/31 03:40:18 )

Very true. :3

I'm I
On chapter six of wizard of Oz. Reading out loud with my girls.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/7 23:39:28 )
added another to my list and started a new one last night!

I have a terrible habit of reading multiple series at a time. I get a little disoriented at first, but I've found that if I read an entire series through, I get tired of it. I give myself a mental break from the series. haha

I saw that one book I read is going to be a show and i'm really excited about that! I'll need to reread that series to keep myself fresh.

Voltie — Sha/female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/8 01:21:03 )

I just finished another Hardy boy book. XD but forgot to write down the title before I returned it to the library.

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/12 15:43:25 )
@Mousy: Oh, I feel this. I get burnout from reading one series all at once, especially if the author is long-winded... Like, I love the idea of beautiful prose but I'm not going to enjoy slogging through it just to get to the end.

As for me, I've got one more art book to go through, four books on how to write novels, and one... autobiography?
Mostly I'm on an instructional book binge lately. Sorry y'all, it still counts.

Voltie — Sha/female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/12 19:54:51 )

Of course it still counts. :)

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/12 22:43:07 )
It totally counts 🤣
I’m in the middle of series and I need to find some other books to break it up. I don’t understand why everything has to be a trilogy now. What happened to good, stand alone books? 😂

Voltie — Sha/female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/13 13:10:54 )

I think it is partially because people have more story to tell than will fit in one standard sized book. And things do seem to need to be standard size for the most part especially if you get a publisher.

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/17 04:29:05 )
I agree that a lot of series just seem bloated for no reason. I often wonder if people only make sequels when the original sells well. I can think of a handful of series that I never even knew had more books until much later on.

Side note, I just downloaded a metric crap-ton of ebooks for my Kindle. So now I don't have the excuse of not having anything to read anymore.

I waited way too long to finish this book. I was lukewarm on the first one, but I can really appreciate the way the author writes here. I don't even mind that romance took a backseat. Just watching all the plot unravel, and the conspiracy wind deeper, was honestly the coolest sh*t. The ending gave me goosebumps. I had to read it two or three times, just because that one line really got to me. Down with the Scythedom. Long live the Thunderhead! 🌩️

Voltie — Sha/female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/20 19:27:20 )

That might also be the case. XD

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/26 02:24:02 )
Updated the list. Haven't got as much reading done. Busy with emergencies/irl stuff. Blegh.

Not sure how to feel about this one. Having dark themes is one thing, but having consistently dark moments overall? I'm not too sure how to feel. The best kinds of stories follow a basic formula of rising/climax/falling action and to be honest, I don't see that here. It's one obstacle after another brought on by the protagonists' own weakness and trauma. Doesn't make for a sympathetic protag, only made me frustrated she could never say/do what she wanted. Might be a while till I pick up the rest of this series.

Pʟᴇᴀꜱᴇ @ ᴍᴇ ᴛᴏ ɢᴇᴛ ᴀ ʀᴇꜱᴘᴏɴꜱᴇ.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/26 02:55:07 )
Ever start a book expecting it to be light-hearted and feel good and it's just... dark? XD Just finished another.

@terror 404: It's been awhile since I read that series, but I do remember it being really dark too.
Please ping! I get distracted easily.

Voltie — Sha/female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/30 15:25:09 )

I've probably read a book like that but can't place a specific title right now. Maybe Eragon was sneaking up on that .

Voltie — Sha/female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/6 22:00:44 )

Finished the art of Chinese paper cutting.... And than realized the book is about 400$ o.o to Amazon/eBay!!

Currently recovering from large amounts of PTSD. I'll post when I can, please ping for replies. Things are very difficult for me right now.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.