Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free
Donator — She Posted 5 years ago ( 2020/03/6 00:51:56 )
I've always heard about this, but never tried it. Recently I tried rice cakes for the first time and loved them. (And rice cakes are pretty standard gluten free stuff.) so I wanted to try making it.

One problem! I hate fish. xD

god i hate fish so much. Fish sauce I can deal with but actual legit fish? EEEUGH!

LOL!

Does anyone know if I can make this with veggie/chicken stock and no fish bits?

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 5 years ago ( 2020/03/6 00:55:33 )

yeah sure, why not? :0 improvise and substitute to your preference. i like my rice cakes sliced and cooked in either pork bone soup with veggies and meat or stir fried b:

Donator — She Posted 5 years ago ( 2020/03/6 01:00:57 )
@pachi: Thank youuu! Lol. I am so worried if I change it I'd mess up the flavour (there's a place in town that makes it but I'm not sure if they have gluten free ingredients tho.) so, I'm gonna try it out! This recipe I found starts out with like, broth and let it cook down, then throwing in the rice cakes when it's still a bit thin and letting it thicken/stirfry?
I want to try so many more dishes but learning to cook (with little time lately) is a challenge.

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 5 years ago ( 2020/03/6 01:02:30 )

@Scribartz: i'm on the same boat as you, can't do gluten |D
    but flavour-wise, if you're cooking for yourself then adjust it to your own preference~~
    also just make sure to not over-cook it since it will get mushy

Donator — She Posted 5 years ago ( 2020/03/6 01:13:13 )
@pachi: D= It's the worst thing ever!
But awesome! I'm cooking it now actually! I can't wait to try it. (they are cooking from frozen so hopefully it won't over-cook. )

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 5 years ago ( 2020/03/6 01:18:16 )

@Scribartz: good luck!! i'm sure they'll turn out great b:

Donator — She Posted 5 years ago ( 2020/03/6 01:19:16 )
@pachi: It is literally the best thing ever! This is my new study time food. <3 <3 Thank you for helping me!

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 5 years ago ( 2020/03/6 01:43:45 )

@Scribartz: np!!
    i'm trying to not eat too many carbs rn but man i sure can binge on these things |D sooo chewy and good

Donator — She Posted 5 years ago ( 2020/03/6 02:17:05 )
@pachi: I know... I'm so full but my mouth is determined to have the whole pan. Like it's so good. <3 Is there like, a sweet way to cook rice cakes? =O

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 5 years ago ( 2020/03/6 02:48:59 )

@Scribartz: not that i know of... in that shape and firmness haha
    mochi is a bit different from that but it can be cooked in sweet red bean soup! it's really good too :Q

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2020/03/6 04:28:30 )
I didn't even realize tteokbokki had fish in it |D
but I guess it's just the broth for cooking?

I'm not a fan of tteok generally :d
well I don't think I like the spicy sauce haha

e

Donator — She Posted 5 years ago ( 2020/03/6 07:16:03 )
@pachi: =O Maybe I can do what my middle eastern family does and douce them in either rose water or orange blossom syrup or honey. xD Until I'm 90% sure I have diabetes from it. Not an exaggeration. I've never had a middle eastern desert that wasn't deathly sweet.

I've actually made home made mochi before! And I always have mochi icecreams in my fridge. I love the chocolate ones but settle for vanilla or matcha (if my little sister has stocked up on them.) But yeah... I feel like there has to be some way. Maybe if I slow roast them with some almonds and dip them in like, sweetened condensed milk? I know some rice cakes are on bingsoo so... Maybe? xD

@eyry: I love spice. hot spice, flavour spice... I have gotten to the point where most foods with an acceptable level of canadian spices don't even have flavour to me anymore. OwO

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2020/03/6 09:02:42 )
@Scribartz: mmm yeah I am not a fan of the spicy. well, I'm not good at tolerating it. xD spicy and sweet together just makes me a bit sick to think about now haha. we had some spicy sweet fried chicken a bit ago that was just too strong in flavor.

e

Donator — She Posted 5 years ago ( 2020/03/6 18:58:04 )
@eyry: Oh no! Lol. I'm really sorry about that. Yeah there's a lot of people who can't do spicy, because it can cause stomach upset or just it's too much flavour. There's always other stuff out there though! Lots of options. =) I just kept seeking this everywhere and just... I had to try it.

Now my family is addicted. xD

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 5 years ago ( 2020/03/6 19:20:46 )

@Scribartz: you can try it! :Q that sound really good actually wow...

Voltie — she/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2020/03/6 21:37:01 )

I'm sure that would be delicious! I hate fish also. I make sushi with chicken and veggies xD
Although I'll cook the chicken in a sauce first so it has a more complimented flavor. Like teriyaki!
I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2020/03/7 04:39:20 )
it just makes my mouth burn haha
but that sweet flavor with the spicy was toooo much man. it would have been alright if it weren't as sweet

e
art shop
isn't that lovely, isn't that cool and isn't that cruel

Donator — She Posted 5 years ago ( 2020/03/15 07:15:30 )
@pachi:
Eesh, I just realized I've been more absent then i thought with university and work. xD Sorry it took me forever.
I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to. I know grinding almonds up can make a nice like, sweetish breading. Maybe if there is a hint of spice? I shall figure this out. Lol.

@Jolly:
Tbf, I dislike fish like salmon, most tuna (unless it's a tuna salad made a very specific way) cat fish, any flaky, fishy fish... I hate. But Cod I can tolerate if it's cooked just right, and I love squid and crab... Don't like lobster. It's gross imo. xD I can even mildly tolerate eel in sushi, and like my surf clam. But Normal fish, eek.

@eyry: That's fair! There's a lot of people out there who can't like, stand a savoury sort of dish that mixed flavor profiles. =) There's always a way to make things that suits you tho. =) Maybe you'll find a way to make this that doesn't have that issue?
Ping me for fast replies!
https://youtu.be/y4IF2WtkgtM

Donator — Fluffywuff Posted 5 years ago ( 2020/03/15 08:36:18 )
I knew of a variety made using miso paste/broth instead, but that might have been a regional thing or the person's preference.
Supposedly, it was good tasting, though?

Oh my love, I know you are my candyman
And oh my love, let us fly to bounty land~~

Közi (“Kouji.”)
He/him

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 5 years ago ( 2020/03/15 13:34:45 )

@Scribartz: haha no worries, i know life can get super busy--
    +w+ sounds goooood

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.