Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Mini Shops ∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀art shop⠀{ yes we're open ! come chat anytime ˙˚ʚ(´◡`)ɞ˚˙ }⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

Donator — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/12/3 00:42:43 )
Mother Anthropodia (did I spell that right?) has a sash thing that hangs from the waist. I wanted it to hang from a belt but it’s on the belt layer. Oh well.

I love the oracle eyes, but they can become too creepy sometimes. XD

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/12/3 06:55:57 )
════════════════⠀ ∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

oohh i see :3 i didn't know it had a sash thing ... would be nice to have multiple belt layers tbh, i would love to layer the chain belt w some of the strappy ones :3

for sure lol ... i feel like i'd get creeped out while making them haha
i've started some art pieces where i was like, i can't draw this cuz i can't look at this for long periods of time lol

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘ ⠀════════════

Donator — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/12/3 19:35:40 )
You do really well making interesting and creepy avatars but they aren’t too creepy, they’re cool and fun to look at

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/12/3 22:47:21 )

lina we should have a creepy avi contest sometime! get all the creepy avi volties and see who can make the most genuinely scary avi
i guess the reaping event would have been a good one for that Lol but ... idk creepy can be anytime! or maybe in the future lol ...

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/12/4 08:29:36 )

I'm gonna move this here bc I dont wanna interrupt koneko's thread since it's back on topic ALDKFJ
xvz:

@hachi: oohh what artists have u watched so far??

oh btw i started kaguya sama the other day lolol ... i've been having trouble finishing animated shows lately tho so idk how far i'll get but it's been fun so far, i love when they have the like checkerboard bg shots lol

omg those pins are so cute baby pokemon ...

thanks for the share!!

so far I've watched Emily Artful and D'Angelo Wallace (altho I think he hasn't made art vids in a while ADLKFJ his old ones are gold tho) I also really like watching Danica Sills work, her watercolors are so pretty
sometimes I click on rando tutorial or speedpaint vids if they look interesting haha

I'm glad you're having fun with kaguya alskfj the nice thing about it is that it's a pretty casual watch, like there's no cliffhangers and it's easy to pick back up if you take a long hiatus, etc.
my friend and I are starting season 2 now

Donator — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/12/4 23:24:00 )
Most creepy avatar thread for each event! With themes to match the event or time of year

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/12/5 03:33:04 )

@hachi: aww :"-) u didn't have to but appreciate u continuing the convo lol
ooh i'll have to check those out !! i think the ones i've seen are ... sinix design, jyundee, WLOP... :0 it's cool to see everyone's diff approaches!! i love seeing how different workflows result in different styles :3

oh casual shows are nice .... i feel like sometimes i don't have the emotional bandwidth to watch something serious :0
or like ... i'm not giving a show the respect it deserves if it's rly good but i'm like braindead lol

where ru watching it , like crunchyroll ? are yall still doing the phone thing? lol :3

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/12/5 03:33:47 )

lina yes!! lets do it next event lol , i would love that

hmm scary winter solstice ... ?? i'm picturing that green worm monster from nightmare before xmas

Donator — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/12/5 03:37:46 )
Do you mean oogie boogie? lol

Creepy winter? Snow monster?

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/12/5 03:48:20 )

hahaha yes ... he was soooo scary to me as a kid omg T_T worms for insides??? terrifying !!!

hmmm yeah abominable snowman ........ ? ice creature ... ?? snow skeleton ?? lol

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/12/5 03:49:17 )

we could probably do jack and sally :0 i'm trying to picture it w the items we have .......

jack - bayou / skullie head .... i think the arachnophobia cape has the pointy collar ...
sally we have in stitches and the glasglow mouth common ... :0

Donator — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/12/5 03:52:13 )
Jack and Sally would be super fun!

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/12/5 04:00:51 )

i was trying to make a snowglobe avi w the enchanted display case ...

i wonder if i could put a jack in there? lol

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/12/5 04:01:29 )

hmm i wanna get some houses in there though but idk how ... i tried the hex or blessed house but it doesn't feel like it fits thematically lol

Donator — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/12/5 07:47:57 )
That is so freakin cute! I’m dying!
Find me @ PlayWithErica on instagram, twitch, youtube, and discord.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/12/5 20:22:02 )

@xvz: I've seen some of sinix and wlop's vids too! haha sometimes I wish the speedpaint vids werent so speedy bc Im always like "howd you do that?? I wanna try "

nah I know what you mean, if I didn't have this weekly thing with my friend I'd never watch any shows ALDKFJ I'm sitting on so many that I know I'll like but I wanna be in the right mood for it..
which is why I watch so much youtube, bc if I'm only half paying attention, I don't feel guilty or like im missing out ahaha

it's been crunchyroll so far but season 2 is only on funimation so gotta.. switch, except I dont have a sub so hnnNNNNN I don't mind watching ads but idk how that's gonna translate for syncing HAHA
when streaming companies split a show like this it hurts my soul

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/12/5 20:49:51 )

lina lol thank u! if u think of anything u think would look cute in it lmk! haha

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/12/5 20:55:03 )

@hachi: ohh yeah i pause them sometimes and get super close to the screen lol like to figure out oh what tool?? what brush?? what layer, what the heck ru doin lol
do u follow a set process for ur art pieces ?? :0 i really enjoy ur style

lool that's nice too that it's a way to keep in touch!! one of my friends left the city this year to stay w family and we use it as a way to like, catch up n stuff :3
what are the shows ur sitting on ?? :0

ohh yeah like there's not one big streaming monopoly (kind of ..... yet .... ) ... i feel like it can be good and bad lol
kind of like how i feel abt messaging apps?? having multiple is less convenient for sure but if there was a single monopoly on it i would be stressed lol

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/12/5 21:48:17 )

@xvz: my process usually goes: really shitty sketch --> line art --> flats --> shading --> post-processing stuff
sometimes I have a sketch between the shitty sketch and the lineart but usually im too lazy ADLFKJ most of the variation is in the last two steps depending on what I decide to do haha
what's your process like? Im very interested in how you paint, will you tell me your secrets? do you do it on one layer?? do you paint over a sketch or do you color block? what are your brushes I really wanna use a discord emoji here but I can't.. Im dying.....

yeah it is nice most of my friends live far away so I've gotten used to having scheduled video chat times haha
oh no there's a lot.. I think notably Jojo's Part 5, which I was really excited for but now im sitting on it HAHA it's not even a serious show, honestly its so casual ADLJKJ
I also have a tendency to rewatch things I've already seen, also very low pressure... like do you know how many times I've seen FMA

too true.. I just need to be someone's crunchyroll friend and they can be my funimation friend. and then I also need an amazon friend and a netflix friend and a--
dying yeah im over here video chatting and depending on the group of friends its either on google, zoom, skype, or facebook ADLFKJ

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/12/6 00:19:43 )

@hachi: oohh how do u do ur shading and post processing ?? :3
and what's the discord emoji :0

honestly i'm not even sure what my process is like lmao, i still do it slightly differently every time haha @@ still figuring it out tbh
but typically i do:
1) sketch
2) flats
3) shading ?? (but sometimes i shade in the sketch phase instead)
4) layer on top for paintover , painting on one layer
5) post processing (lots of clipping mask layers and overlay/soft light w fun colors)
6) final step: canvas texture on multiply + add noise

i've been experimenting tho, i used to do everything on one layer but more recently i've been using separate layers for diff colors? honestly i don't know what i'm doing Lol
for brushes i usually use textured brush packs i found for free online i haven't used the same ones every time tho, some don't come w good opacity/flow/size pressure so i just kind of pick one at random and see if it works or not lol (sometimes it doesn't!)
more recently i've been going back to the default brushes though (the circles and the airbrush circle), kind of like to brush up (aha) on basics lol

hmm what else ... i usually save a piece after each phase, and i'll also group stuff and merge together before moving on to the next phase ... i have progress files for the last painted piece i did (the one on the first post of this thread - can click to see it in full ^^) and i thought abt compiling them and posting in my gallery thread ... but i was like does anyone even look at this thread lol idk if worth the effort ...
w/ painting i always feel like there's an "ugly phase" and i always wanna quit lol but i'm glad i don't and keep going! i think the post process stuff makes a big diff for me too so i gotta make sure i get there :0

⠀∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀ {⠀art shop⠀·⠀gallery⠀·⠀closet⠀}⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀ {⠀buying / questing: capricorn ⠀}⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

art by kiwi and koneko <3

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.