Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts Dumb Kid Confessions (Stuff you believed as a kid that isn't true)

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/23 04:00:30 )

Okay, so we have all been dumb kids. And being a dumb kid, usually means we hear things from other kids or make assumptions based off what we see (From parents or TV). Then we just continue to believe said thing until we find out later that it wasn't true.

Here's your chance to confess in the open (or in a spoiler if you're embarrassed) the dumb stuff you believed as a kid. And also when it was, when you found out that it wasn't true.

I'll start

This sounds super bad, but I thought as a kid, that if someone had cancer they automatically lost their hair. Like that was a side effect of it. I didn't know that it was because they did chemo and lost it that way. Oops.

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/23 04:34:17 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

chemo hair loss covers faaaaaar more than just the hair on the head

Cars and stuff could turn on by themselves and run me over. Don't know where this one came from
Electronic flushing toilets would eat me. Scared by one or two as a kid, resulted in my never going to the bathroom in school lol
Kissing on the lips made you pregnant. Didn't matter if f/f, m/m, m/f, or what. Kissing the lips made you preggers

Put ya guns awn!

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/23 04:39:53 )

@Kitalpha Hart: Got to wait until you're married before you can kiss...that makes baaaaaaabies lol. That seems like such a trope from a 90's program. Maybe that's where you saw it from lol.

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/23 04:41:30 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

@Crystalkitsune85: would've been from late 90s or early 2000s cuz I was born late 94

Put ya guns awn!

questShop

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/23 04:45:52 )

when i was small my ma read me a story about these kids turning into donkeys if they don't sleep (or something) so i would have her press on my head to make sure ears didn't sprout if i didn't sleep on time

part of me knew it probably wouldn't happen but the other part was like. what if.

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/23 04:49:28 )

@pachi: Sounds like an offshoot of Pinocchio, maybe that's where she got the idea lol. Bad kids turned into donkeys in that book.

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/23 04:53:05 )

@Crystalkitsune85: oh maybe LOL i completely forgot about that
    also it was in another language, that's probably why

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/23 04:54:10 )

@pachi: Sometimes things get lost in translation lol

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/23 05:26:18 )
I thought that the blank days on the paper calendar were just extra days. like you go through your 30 or so and then you have the extra days and then the next month started.
Please ping! I get distracted easily.

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/23 05:29:50 )

@Mousy: That's a good one. I wish that was true though. Sometimes we could use an extra day. Especially when you're a kid and you want longer summer vacation lol.

Donator — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/23 07:22:07 )
Oh,man. This is pretty darn embarrassing,but...when I was around 12 or so,I thought the sun would only rise if I fell asleep at night (not sure why I thought that!) One night,I decided to stay up and ended up proving myself wrong.

Art by the fabulous Inatlaka!

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/23 08:13:46 )

@Dean: That's kind of almost like staying up to see if Santa Claus is real lol. I remember times when I used to go to work with my grandfather, and he worked from 10pm to 7am at an advice nurse place. I'd just sit around for hours as he took calls. I also got to use someone elses' computer to play the default games...like Chips Challenge.

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/23 09:40:23 )
@crystalkitsune85: some of the things me and my sisters believed when i was little was...
Dont pick ur nose or you're eyes will fall out XD
Dont sit to close to the tv you're eyes will go square XD
Dont lie or you're tongue will fall out XD
Dont make faces at people the wind will change and ur face will stay like that XD
its so funny now that i think about them cus they sound so silly lol

Donator — Fluffywuff Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/23 10:24:52 )

The only one I can think of is that when I was super little, like "pouring your cereal milk on your own as a new thing" little, that if the faster I poured the milk in, it would magically use less milk. XDD;;;

I was a big milk drinker as a kid. It got pretty expensive there for a while, and I got scolded for drinking it all constantly.
But my bones are ROCK SOLID, my dudes.

milk is still the best, i love dis milks

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/23 10:31:29 )

@LilMissKushy:

I had ones more like "don't stare at the tv to close or you'll go blind" or something to that effect. Also the making faces will make them freeze like that I've heard. Those are so common I think.

@Kozi: So if you poured the milk fast, you used less? Seems legit. And I apparently didn't like milk as a baby. The only thing I would drink was tang, and that was why my baby teeth had to be capped because they were already rotten. I hated being a kid. I have like my four front teeth capped because of the tang. It's almost as bad as braces.

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/23 10:33:52 )

OH! Also some other things I remembered. I was told if you got white lines on your finger nails (I don't know what causes them really) it meant you told a lie. Also similarly if your tongue was sore, it also meant you lied.

Oh and this one was more a superstition rather than a lie, but if your ears burned, (depending on which one) it meant someone was talking about you or something else, I forget.

Donator — Fluffywuff Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/23 10:35:52 )

@Crystalkitsune85: Ooooof. Yeah, it can be super hard if your kid only wants certain things.
After a while, you have to cave in or they won't take in anything at all.
My friend's son has severe autism, and will literally only eat mashed potatoes, chicken nuggets from McDonald's, and koolaid. Ugh.
Lord knows what his dental and digestive systems will look like.

The things about stuff appearing when you lie, is usually what your parents tell you so that you fess up to it. XD;;;
My grandma used to say things like that about getting zits, loose eyelashes, or warts on your fingers.

Oh my love, I know you are my candyman
And oh my love, let us fly to bounty land~~

Közi (“Kouji.”)
He/him

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/23 13:08:04 )
@crystalkitsune85: yeah they are common and so silly when you look back xD

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/23 14:28:48 )

When I was little I believed chocolate made you pregnant :/ true story. I was about 4 and eating a chocolate bar and wouldn't share it with my mum, so she told me chocolate makes you fat. The only kind of 'fat' I knew about was pregnant (she was pregnant with my brother at the time) ergo.... I didn't eat chocolate for years.

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/23 14:42:47 )
I low-key hate this, because I now realize a lot of the stupid stuff I believed as a child was a result of adults lying to me. I'm super resolved to not lie to my child, or if I do, I'll let her know right away that I'm just joking.

My great grandmother told me that eating uncooked noodles made them turn into worms in your stomach, and eating seeds would make them grow inside you. I believed in Santa way too long because when I was a pre-teenager I got sat down and told we were not going to have Christmas presents due to being broke (which I totally was prepared to accept, btw), only to see (my extended family pitched in and bought) a TON of presents, all marked Santa. It was cute until I went to school and told all me friends how I knew he was real, and they proceeded to make way too much fun of me about it. I'm sure there are more horrible lies I believed, but I wont get into that right now :p

This is a more fun one, I guess, because its not based on lies: I was and still am afraid of large mirrors. It used to be that I thought they had the potential to be some sort of magical portal to a different dimension. Now, I just feel very uncomfortable around them for what I used to think was no reason. It turns out that the reason was that as a baby, a huge mirror fell on me and shattered. THAT EXPLAINS MY LUCK, I guess :p I can't imagine what went through my baby-mind as a reflection of me zoomed towards me and broke on probably my head. I don't remember any of it, but the trauma stuck with me in such a weird way.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.