Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts Dumb Kid Confessions (Stuff you believed as a kid that isn't true)

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/31 23:01:48 )

@SuperZombiePotatoe: As long as it worked, guess it had a good outcome in the end.

@ChiffonOrange: I also tend to ramble to people I DO get to talk to. Like friends I meet online from games and stuff. I'm shy at first, when I'm on voice but when I get to know you, I can literally talk your ear off lol.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/31 23:42:03 )
**** (> ^ w ^ <) ****

@Crystalkitsune85: Haha I see. xD

I guess making friends online is much easier than making friends in person as you don't have talk to them face to face if you're uncomfortable or shy. Except I don't do on voice since my voice feels horrible lol, I prefer typing to communicate with online friends most times.

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/31 23:59:26 )
*:..o()o..:*  *:..o()o..:*

@chiffonorange: Ya, that's true #silverlining

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/1 01:03:28 )
**** (> ^ w ^ <) ****

@SuperZombiePotatoe: Mmhmm. *nods* It depends on the person whether they feel comfortable or not.

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/1 01:04:49 )

@ChiffonOrange: I would mostly talk with friends I met on Second Life, and I'd do it rarely since my situation is that I'm usually in the living room where my grandmother watches TV really loud cus she's hard of hearing, so I have to try and talk over the TV. When she gets ready for bed I usually have a good window to talk, but I mostly don't do it because of background noise.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/1 01:13:53 )
**** (> ^ w ^ <) ****

@Crystalkitsune85: Ah, I understand. :o It's understandable that no one wants to hear background noise in order to avoid annoying others or feeling that other people won't be able to hear what you said.

I tried getting into Second Life but it didn't last longer as I couldn't find a decent place to hang out with or it isn't my cup of tea. Heck, I even tried to find some friends on IMVU but I stopped logging on as I didn't had any interest on it either. I deleted both of my accounts respectively though lol

Donator — FluffyBoi Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/1 01:32:37 )

I believed these things as a kid, though I can't remember why for the love of me. First one, I used to believe that we all peed through holes. I had no concept whatsoever of there being physical differences between male and female bodies. You can imagine my surprise when I was introduced to sex and all that fun stuff. I think I stayed oblivious to all that for some time though.

The second, I was terrified of my dead fish coming back from being flushed down the toilet and just attacking me while I was in there. Maybe my brothers had something to do with that since they would tell me a lot of BS due to how naïve I was.
Lucifer's Pet

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/1 01:33:46 )

@ChiffonOrange: I originally started in Active World, which was the 3D hang out place aside from IMVU. I tried IMVU when it first started but I kept meeting really creepy people so I never went back. Then Second Life came around and all the people that were hanging out in Active World started going to SL. I went to it, and my computer was such a brick that it wouldn't load textures and this was back when they had the tutorial world to begin with and you had to go through that first. I couldn't read anything because textures wouldn't load, and I thought it was just that area. I was like "This is what AW people are leaving for?" so I uninstalled it. It wasn't until like a year or so later, when my grandmother gave me her hand me down laptop to get a new one, was I able to actually accomplish the tutorial and teleport to other worlds. I still go to SL today, but off and on. I started in 2008.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/1 02:03:22 )
**** (> ^ w ^ <) ****

@Crystalkitsune85: Oh dear, I'm sorry you had to deal with these kind of people on IMVU. I understand why you don't go back there, and most people I met are just afking, being a troll/creep or just decent while I was on said virtual world(chatroom?)

Never heard of Active Worlds either as I didn't know much about it. And I see. *nods*

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/1 02:14:03 )

@ChiffonOrange: Active World was the precursor to SL. You dropped in, in the Gatekeeper world, which was pretty neat. There were some paths and hidden secrets and you could drive around on jetskis and stuff, but you always came in as a "Tourist" in a stereotypical tourist outfit, and in order to change your avatar you had to become a "citizen". You could either pay for it or win one, during Friday Bingo. Each other places (like SIMs for SL) were called dreams. People who made things with textures and shapes and what not. It was good to basically hang out and talk to people, or explore other dreams people made.

Technically AW still exists, but it's very...different. When you come in, there's no Gatekeeper world anymore, you just drop into a sort of tutorial area and you just move about and choose your avatar from a selection and there are only a few people who actually still go there. I popped in for a bit and actually met up with someone I knew from when I was in AW from before. He never left. He didn't follow the Second Life trend.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/1 02:21:11 )
**** (> ^ w ^ <) ****

@Crystalkitsune85: That sounds pretty interesting. :o

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/1 02:33:51 )

@ChiffonOrange: AW was pretty limited when it came to avatar creation. When you paid or won a citizenship you got to choose from a variety of premade avatars. I think there was the ability to get custom ones made but that cost extra o/c. Second Life, (and the reason it got so popular) is the way you can customize your avatar with millions of different things. Even back in 2008 you could change your look with clothes/hair/skin and stuff but now there's mesh bodies and hair and you can literally look human in Second Life and not like some polygonal horror from an old video game lol.

Second Life has really improved since the beginning. New things being added and changed and upgraded all the time. The communities there (like with everything) can be toxic which is why I don't usually stay long. It's either a lot of X rated stuff, or people that troll. There are some really nice places you can visit if you just avoid people. With the upgrade to mesh stuff now, you can find places that look so realistic and pretty. It's not for everyone. Second Life for new people can be kind of terrifying if you're not used to the kind of place it is. As default you only get G and M places as far as SIM hopping. You have to have an account for a while or pay for a premium account before you can to go A rated places. So there are still places you can go that aren't ruined by bad people, since most SIMS have moderators to kick out bad people if they're doing A rated stuff in a G rated area.

Sorry for the wall of text. I just went on a tangent.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/1 04:14:56 )
**** (> ^ w ^ <) ****

@Crystalkitsune85: I see and it's alright. I understand why people prefer Second Life is due to the unlimited abilities or imaginations when it comes to avatar creation and stuff.

Granted, it does has its pros and cons and sometimes I do like how you can literally make your own avatar if one is experienced in 3D modelling, etc. just to make them stand out or well, as a part of you.

I mostly went to G rated places as I rarely go to A rated places (though I do avoid them as I could) since my room is basically shared with my family so... yeah, it would be awkward if one of my relatives walked in to see what was I doing. :viosweat:

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/1 06:00:27 )

@ChiffonOrange: Back when I was younger, I used to go to a lot of the A rated places because I was naughty. I mean I was over 18 but I'm pretty much done with that kind of stuff, so I guess that's why I don't stay there long. I was also apart of the My Little Pony community there. People had avatars that literally looked like the cartoon versions. It was fun for a while, but that community can be very toxic, and I didn't need drama so I just kind of stepped aside and let them do whatever. I have a few friends still that I pop on and say hi to once in a while but most of them I have on Discord now, so no real need for going to SL at all.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/1 06:18:12 )
**** (> ^ w ^ <) ****

@Crystalkitsune85: That is true. *nods*

And yeah, it's better we don't want to get involved in any sort of drama since we have other things to do in our lives. And true, I think majority of users tend to be on social media these days especially when said social media programs have apps for mobile (well, smartphones) which made communication much more convenient than before

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/1 08:11:52 )

@ChiffonOrange: I actually had Skype and MSN for the longest time, until MSN merged with Skype and then when my laptops went from Windows 8 to 10, Skype refused to work on either of my laptops. It'd work on my tablet but I hardly used that for communication. One friend I met on Second Life, told me about Discord. He said he got on Discord more than on Second Life, so I literally got the platform just for him, and then he went MIA for a long time. Luckily Discord became such a big thing, that everyone/everything seems to have a Discord channel so, it worked out in the end anyway lol.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/1 08:53:03 )
**** (> ^ w ^ <) ****

@Crystalkitsune85: lol yeah, Discord has lots of features that Skype doesn't have tbh. I used to have Windows Live Messenger when I was a preteen then switched to Skype in my mid to late teens and finally, Discord itself.

Naturally, it's understandable why the latter is more popular than the other two. :o

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/1 09:59:43 )

@ChiffonOrange: Back in the early days I also had Yahoo Instant Messanger. That was like the first one that I was on. Then MSN. AIM didn't come in, until later for me. I remember back when YIM had chatrooms, but it was so dangerous for people since there was a lot of catfishing, and people pretending to be kids and really adults. It didn't last too terribly long. Fast chatrooms like that tend to disappear when there were a lot of bad things that came out of them. All the people I talked to in the early years, were people from College I met. Just to keep in touch after semesters ended.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/1 10:51:27 )
**** (> ^ w ^ <) ****

@Crystalkitsune85: Ah I see. I never used AIM before so I may not know what's their main attraction. And dang, that sounds dangerous indeed, it's true there's a bunch of suspicious people or perverts trying to do something malicious on chatrooms or any other messaging platform, just to get your info or whatever you had.

And that's nice, keeping in touch is good too. *nods* Though it didn't ended well with me when I tried to keep in touch with my former highschool friends and they ignored me in return. So I kinda felt pretty heartbroken and didn't want to do anything with them by removing their contacts and all since then. I still don't have any RL friends to this day and ironically I got used to it pretty quickly even if I get lonely sometimes. :viosweat:

Sorry for the very long reply

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/1 23:04:23 )

@ChiffonOrange: I didn't get friends until I went to college. I went to a private school until the fourth grade then from fifth grade up through high school I was home schooled. We couldn't afford the private school anymore and they didn't like the public school horror stories, so right when they were about to go to public school, a branch of K-8 home school opened up in town. Basically all my school work was home work. I'd read the books, and my mom would give me tests and then we turned in all the work to the teacher in the K-8 building once a week. Then I'd get the next weeks' assignments. I did that through high school as well but 9-12 grade was considered "Independant Learning" so you were your own teacher.

By then they figured you were old enough to get your stuff done. When I was doing the independent learning in the one town we lived in, I kept getting Cs, because I would have to take written tests once a week and I don't do well with written tests. When we moved to a new town and I transferred to the center there, they'd give me oral tests and I'd pass like 100% most of the time. So I basically went from a C student to an A student all with the change of written tests to oral. When I went to college, that was like my high school experience. I met a girl in 2003 in an art class and we're still friends today.

Up until this Covid stuff happened, we'd hang out a couple times a month, and text each other to keep in touch etc. So if it wasn't for me going to college I wouldn't have a Real life friend, only online ones.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.