Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts ┤▒├ Wildfire's World ┤▒├ All welcome, all the time - come say Hi!

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/12/27 00:53:42 )

Every single inch of me hurts like crazy.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/12/27 02:49:19 )
@Totalanimefan: my Christmas was good thanks. It was pretty quiet actually. You?

@Another Movie Addict: Why? What did you do?

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/12/27 02:53:42 )

I had to carry a very heavy box full of books up and down a step ladder. Like all day.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/12/27 13:08:16 )
@Another Movie Addict: that would probably do it! Are you any less sore today?

good morning

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/12/27 14:30:38 )

I feel a little less sore. My legs don't feel like they're on fire right now. Which is nice. Do have a few impressive bruises.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/12/27 14:39:02 )
I'm glad you're feeling a little better. It sounds like it was a rough day at the shop though!

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/12/27 14:47:22 )

It was.

Yesterday I was scheduled to sort some books from a pre-sort gaylord (pictured below). These things are pretty big, and absolutely full of books, magazines, dvds, cds, and vhs. Eventually you get to a point where you have to get inside the darn thing. I got to maybe a little under half by the time I had to go get lunch. Goodwill makes you take a 30 minute lunch break. Like they get mad if you don't. Anyway after lunch I was supposed to switch with my coworker and work the register. Turns out we didn't have anything for them to scan into. Because I hadn't finished that gaylord. So we call the bossman and ask what we should do. His solution was for us to switch again and I finish that darn gaylord. My bruises are from getting in and out of the gaylord. My leg pressing down on the rim. Usually I take a box into the gaylord with me. Fill it up and sort the different price points on a table. Well the only way I've been able to finish sorting is by loading my box with more than I can safely carry. So I'm lifting a heavy butt box up and down the step ladder I need to get in and out of the gaylord. I'm carrying that weight backwards when getting out. Which is very nerve racking.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/12/27 14:53:18 )
Yeah, that sounds -and looks- like a daunting and potentially dangerous task! They really expect you to climb in and out of those things...carrying books? Yikes!

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/12/27 14:55:12 )

Yes they do. It's quite the work out.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/12/27 14:57:02 )
I bet it is! It seems like they -and you- would benefit from a modification to the box design... maybe a flap you can cut out and fold down or something once you get to a certain point in the unloading process...

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/12/27 14:58:17 )

Actually the retail stores do that. For some reason the bookstores don't.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/12/27 15:00:29 )
... because that makes sense. Not. I'm envisioning one of those things filled with something like dolls... much lighter than books... and they have a fold-down flap (or something similar) but books don't?? What's the thinking behind that - any idea?

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/12/27 15:01:50 )

No idea. For some reason they thought it was more dangerous.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/12/27 15:06:04 )
Maybe, when the box is full to the top... if the "flaps" aren't designed right to hold the weight and pressure of books leaning directly against them, but that's a design issue and those can be overcome. I would think the hazard to humans would be more of an issue if they want you climbing in and out of those things all the time...

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/12/27 15:08:41 )

No idea. Goodwill decisions don't always make a lot of sense. Lol the best part is. I have to sort a full one of those an hour.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/12/27 15:10:59 )
Yeah, you've mentioned that expectation before. That too seems unrealistic... especially combined with having to climb in and out of the thing!

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/12/27 15:12:27 )

Yep. My boss can do it, and so could our area manager. But I'm struggling to finish one under three hours.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/12/27 15:14:12 )
I hope they're not giving you grief about your timing. Have you asked HOW they manage to do that in that time-frame? I'd be curious...
Maybe being able to do it is a hidden prerequisite for becoming a manager or something! XD

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/12/27 15:18:07 )

I kind of know what's slowing me down. Mostly I still hesitate at putting the item into a price point. I'm still not sure what is a 1.99 book or a 2.99 book. It seems like a small thing to slow you down. But each hesitation adds up.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/12/27 15:21:32 )
That makes sense, and yes, it's amazing what 30 seconds here and there can add up to when they're totaled. :3 Is the price point something that you can ask for clarity on? Or is it just a "choose one and stick a sticker on it" kind of thing - are you thinking about it too much, maybe?

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.