Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts ┤▒├ Wildfire's World ┤▒├ All welcome, all the time - come say Hi!

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 14:10:12 )

That is very true.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 14:14:59 )
... but it's also Father's Day. I'm not sure what effect that is likely to have in a thrift bookstore

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 14:22:13 )

Lol my poor father's day display got absolutely no love this month.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 14:23:23 )
Awww!! So people don't associate Father's Day with used books? Or fathers with reading? Or ... something??
...maybe it will get some love today?

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 14:24:27 )

Apparently they don't. Some of the children's Father's Day books sold, which is something. Lol and someone bought my dad jokes book. But everything else has been ignored.

Maybe.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 14:25:59 )
Well, the kids books and the dad jokes books make sense.
What other kinds of books did you put on the display?

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 14:27:06 )

Home improvement stuff, sports stuff, joke books, grilling cookbooks, and movies about dads. Whatever I could find in the store that screamed 'dad'.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 14:29:41 )
Ahh... For some reason, I was thinking you were putting more obscure or intellectual things up - things that maybe people didn't "get" as being Dad-centric for one reason or another. I'm surprised you didn't get more people pulling from your display!

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 14:31:50 )

Right, I worked really hard on it. Making sure I picked items that are very stereotypically 'dad'.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 14:35:54 )
I'm sure you did work hard on it. I guess people don't associate dads with books, etc.?? /shrugs/ well again - maybe that will change today. You know... around the tornado warnings and the horrible rain that usually goes hand in hand with those warnings.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 14:38:15 )

Lol so far my most effective display has been my FSU display, and that's only because FSU is in my town. And of course because people get really obsessed about football.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 14:41:04 )
Yeah, people are kind of crazy for the state colleges and their football teams around here, aren't they? I'm not surprised your FSU display went over well... or that you have a lot of FSU "stuff" to put in the display

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 17:19:44 )
Nice avis, you two. :)

I'm avoiding packing, ha.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 17:39:42 )
@Aisukohi: Oh hi Aisu - it's nice to see you! Why are you avoiding packing?

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 17:44:08 )
@Wildfire: Thanks, and nice to see you too. :)

I'm feeling lazy and maybe a tad overwhelmed. Slowly moving stuff over to our new place, starting with stuff we probably won't need for a while since we only have to be out of here by the end of the month.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 17:48:50 )
@Aisukohi: So you're taking the slow and steady approach then, huh? That works. There's always much, much more than you anticipate having to deal with towards the end of the moving process, though. Are you excited for the new place?

I like your avatar - it's cute and interesting and unique! :3 <3

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 17:54:19 )
@Wildfire: Yep, there seems like a ton of stuff to move or get rid of, so gonna take it easy.

And yeah--the only thing I don't like about our new place so far is the carpet in the bedrooms (I don't care for carpet) but hopefully we can keep them clean. The rest of the flooring, paint, and fixtures are brand new though. So there's that.

And thanks! Not sure how long I'll keep this avi since I felt a bit of avi block with this one, but I do love how the eyes layer together lol.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 17:59:18 )
@Aisukohi: Yeah, I understand. I prefer wood floors over carpet or tile (which, ironically, I have none of ATM), but there are places and situations where it makes sense to have different surfaces. Maybe having carpet in the bedroom will turn out to be a pleasant surprise for you once you get used to it??

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 18:05:44 )
@Wildfire: Yep. Actually they were redoing the floors on the day we were supposed to be move-in ready, which I'm hoping isn't a sign of terrible management. LUCKILY we weren't planning on moving in right away, but they did a crappy job because the floors are uneven. It's clean looking, but if you walk on it, you can feel slopes here and there, so that'll go on our inspection report. Probably nothing they can do about it while we're occupying the unit, but hey, temporary inconvenience hopefully.

I wish I could say I might get used to the carpet, but it looks a bit like shag carpet, which imo is the worst type. They probably went with that because it's cheap, but whoever made that decision needs a swift kick in the conscious.

The security deposit is pretty cheap though compared to most places we've looked at (most require the equivalent to rent for a deposit) so I suppose I can't complain.
Goodbye, Voltra.
Feel free to add me on Discord: aisu9811

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/20 18:10:16 )
@Aisukohi: uneven flooring could indicate a lot of things - ineptitude of the company laying it, underlying structural problems, or who knows what else. I hope it's nothing severe and turns out to be a temporary thing, but I would definitely mention it in your report and have that be officially noted :3 Most apartments require at least one month's full rent as a security deposit, and another month's equivalent for potential damage... or at least they all seemed to the last time I was looking at apartments, which was admittedly quite a while ago!

LOL - is it a thick 70s style shag carpet? ... that could be "fun" XD

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.