Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts ┤▒├ Wildfire's World ┤▒├ All welcome, all the time - come say Hi!

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 13:49:30 )
that's good.
do you have anything going on today?

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 13:52:27 )

Work, just work lol.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 13:56:59 )
/shrugs/ could be worse.

... i got lost in my tabs... o_0

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 15:57:54 )
@Totalanimefan: yeah, dealing with hurricanes (if they're coming in your direction) is certainly nerve-wracking but at least you can do things to prepare for it and you're not caught unaware.

Maybe your dog is just that attached to you guys now?

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 16:22:59 )
@Totalanimefan: exactly. :3
LOL - that sounds like a reasonable explanation.

So what are you up to today?

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 16:23:13 )
... and thank you.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 16:29:08 )
I have a few things to do online, so I'm trying to get myself motivated to do that (and so far it's not working). Otherwise, I'm slowly putting together a meal plan and grocery list for the next few days. I can get through dinner tonight without going shopping for groceries, but I'll have to go tomorrow. Beyond that, I'm trying to convince hubby to help me hang a pegboard behind/over my desk, and I should probably make another pass at the mass re-organization/decluttering project that I started - or at least follow up with certain parts of the process by pricing books, etc., that I intend to sell...

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 16:42:40 )
Yeah, I think the pegboard will help organize things a bit. I hope so anyway. And it will use up that big empty space that's there right now (my desk is multi-level, with a shelf overhead, so there's a big fairly useless spot of open wall that I keep staring at ATM. I'm hoping the pegboard will help keep things off my actual desk, but still keep things within reach and sight.

Oh yeah... I think my passport expires next year - should probably make a point of keeping it up to date! XD

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 16:44:28 )
So what trends are you finding in the job search? I'm asking because my son is also looking for a new job and he seems to keep getting "close" to getting offers, but not quite. I'm trying to figure out if it's post-covid repercussions, his lack of experience, this area, the types of things he's looking at, or something else (so I can better help him) :/

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 16:52:13 )
@Totalanimefan: Your experience seems to mesh with what my son is experiencing. It sounds partly like post-covid fall-out. What kind of things are you looking for? I hope you find something soon.

Vertical space FTW! XD

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 18:08:07 )
@Totalanimefan: Had to run an errand.
Yeah, I don't blame you for being a little hesitant in that situation.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 18:18:11 )
@Totalanimefan: lol - oh Pinterest is dangerous!! XD
There are a lot of good recipes to be found there. What kinds of things are you looking for?

And yeah... I am just finishing lunch now - tuna steak, celery kinpura, cucumber & tomato salad, and some lightly honeyed white sweet potato mash

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 18:19:17 )
... I want more sweet potato. And kinpura. :/

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 18:36:59 )
@Totalanimefan: lol. I cooked a lot of these sides yesterday, actually - they're just things that are good to grab and go, which is why I did it, and I used 2 pans, I think? I did the celery kinpura then the sweet bell pepper kinpura and then the tuna steaks in the same pan - they all have similar seasonings and the cast iron was already hot so it made sense ;), I did the sweet potato in the Instant Pot (super easy), and the cuke + tomato salad was a last minute thing I did last night that we had some leftovers from (and didn't involve a pan). I have been trying to have more of these things around so that it's easier to eat better throughout the day, instead of just grabbing whatever happens to be easy... which is important because I'm avoiding bread, and a couple other things that are typical lunch things. I completely get the one-pot or sheet-pan meals though! Tonight I'm actually planning to do sheetpan chicken and broccoli (probably with sweet potatoes)

Sweet potato is awesome... and Asian-inspired is always good :3 Are you looking for a noodle type thing? Salad? something like sesame chicken or a stir fry?

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 18:45:56 )
And yeah, pinterest seems to get stuck on the last three things you looked up and floods your page with those things... which can be good or really annoying, depending on what you're looking for or wanting to do!

Spring Rolls??

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 20:17:15 )
-I ran another quick errand-

@Totalanimefan: The IP is great, isn't it? I love being able to set it up and forget about it... and the fact that it doesn't make the house so hot! That's a real shame the movers damaged yours!! *tsk tsk*

It's 20 minutes for whole, average-sized sweet potatoes on a trivet in the IP, with a quick release. If my sweet potatoes are really big, I'll add another minute or two just to make sure the middle isn't hard. For mashed sweet potatoes, I'll usually do a rough chop on them, toss them in the IP without the trivet, with the water and maybe a little salt, for about 10 minutes, and they're basically mashed when you release pressure :3 If I'm adding honey, I'll drizzle some over top while they're sitting in the IP reabsorbing some of the cooking water and cooling off.

Oh! The acai bowls/smoothies sound great! <3 I should do more things like that - especially for breakfast. I don't know why I don't. And no, I don't believe there are "breakfast only" foods. Most of the time my breakfast is leftovers from the day before. :3

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 20:39:40 )
@Totalanimefan: Yeah, I'll put cinnamon on my sweet potatoes, but I usually drizzle them with avocado oil and add a little salt. I absolutely adore the IP for making sweet potatoes - it makes it so easy!!

Yeah, I like doing fish or chicken "taco/burrito/whatever" bowls/wraps - I use both my IPs for that (one for beans and one for the meat) and then just chop a bunch of lettuce, tomato, etc. Super easy, and really good over the summer

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 20:49:39 )
@Totalanimefan: Oh! That sounds like a wonderful thing to have! I love having fresh, crisp lettuce, etc. available but I have not managed to figure out how to grow it here. Florida is tough to grow things other than peppers and a couple other things, imo.

I use my IPs a lot, actually. They come in really handy for a lot of things, including those last-minute 'stick to the ribs/get the kids calories!!' type meals... one-pot meals, done in the IP! :3

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 20:53:02 )
The IPs are great for making shredded chicken (etc) too, which is convenient to have available for lunches, etc. I do that a good amount too.
Oh! And dahl or a saag too - that is soooooo super easy to do in the IP. I'm blanking on other things I usually use the IPs for though, but it seems that I'm always pulling at least one of them out (I have a small 3qt one and a big 8qt one; it's a good combo, imo)

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/29 21:06:31 )
@Totalanimefan: Yeah, we're far enough from the Gulf that the salt isn't so much of an issue, but all the sand! Even the compost can't keep up with the "soil" needs and if it's not the soil, everything is either dried beyond recognition or soggy. And if it's not one of those things, it's the bugs, and it's hard even tending a garden here because of the heat. /eyeroll/

Yes, my kids use the IPs when they cook - usually they'll use the small one to make rice (lol) but they've done some of the one-pot IP things too, and my youngest adores Congee, which is amazing to make in the IP. They could/should use them more, IMO, but they'll get there.

How much room does this hydroponics system of yours take up?

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.