Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts My Little Hangout (Open)

Artist Posted 2 months ago ( 2024/07/15 20:06:28 )
@Alchemists Fire: haha yep! Thats what I was picturing xD I've definitely made those before. And I’ve done that sliding knot too! I prefer just tying them on tho xD

Artist Posted 2 months ago ( 2024/07/15 20:09:42 )
@FUZZY: oh those are fun :3 I never bought one but a friend of mine had to loom and brought it over one time and it changed my mind on them, kind of lol we also used 2 forks taped together to make some little bouncy balls with them. I can send you the tutorial video if you want haha

The thing I don’t like about the rubber band things tho is they snag and collect hair so if you wear it it pulls and/or if you drop it. They also have a slight smell, and especially if left for months/years, they either get super sticky and smelly or dried out. Idk if its the brand difference or if its like an aging process and I found them at different stages lol
But yeah I’ll always prefer string/beads to rubber bands

Donator — #Roy4Mayor Posted 2 months ago ( 2024/07/15 23:54:03 )
@FUZZY: What kind of things have they done previously? I totally understand the hot and gross and not wanting to go anywhere =(

@Ruby: How do you tie them on your own wrist though? don't you need two hands? Or is there a technique I'm missing? (there probably is xD)

I saw your post to Fuzzy about loom bands, and I don't think it's a brand thing I think it's that just the nature of that type of material
Remember those rubber bracelets that were really popular in the mid 00s? started with LiveStrong and then a bunch of other places started making them too, and it was cool to have a whole wrist full of them? I have a bunch that have totally degraded and got all sticky and awful, it's just that type of rubber

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 months ago ( 2024/07/16 02:37:17 )
@Ruby: I wanna know how to make bouncy balls with them.

@Alchemists Fire: she's only been there for that one class craft of making beads of of strips of paper.

Artist Posted 2 months ago ( 2024/07/16 11:08:16 )
@Alchemists Fire: I hold one end in the hand that I’m tying it onto, like I put it in my palm and fold my fingers over it. Then I use my free hand and loop the other end around the taut one then pull it lol

Oh yeah! At first I was like silly bandz? But yes I remember the livestrong bracelets lol I have a black one that says I <3 pirates and I had several that said I’m diabetic because I the metal medical alert bracelets kept pinching me. They were more of a silicone than rubber band material tho.

Artist Posted 2 months ago ( 2024/07/16 11:14:20 )
@FUZZY: the youtube channel is OlgaCrafts, these videos are like 10 years old now but there’s a bunch of different things they make with forks. Even rings. Here’s the bouncy ball one, there’s also a smiley face ball one

https://youtu.be/icM-OpAlBRw?si=YWTxj7h75nqDRufE

Donator — #Roy4Mayor Posted 2 months ago ( 2024/07/17 01:36:32 )
@FUZZY: Oh, that's fun, I've done that! Someone got me a "bead maker" kit as a kid and it was making beads with skinny triangular strips of paper
Actually, THIS was almost the exact thing I had!
It's a neat idea, but IDK how sustainable it is. I always had trouble getting my beads to stay stuck together

@Ruby: Oh, I think I get it, like you hold one end down with your middle finger or something? I've had to do that with clasps and I think that's how I'd have to tighten the sliding style ones, never tried tying one on like that

I forget what silly bandz were, I meant like these things xD
I had Livestrong, I think a music related one, 3 in my high school colours, and a few others, can't remember it was like 15+ years ago now
But I think I broke two Livestrong bands and the other ones just got old and sticky xDD

Booo, pinchy bracelets suck =(
I didn't mean "rubber band" like elastic bands, I just said "rubber bracelets", but maybe they were more silicone, idk xD all I know is they got icky and gross after a while haha

Artist Posted 2 months ago ( 2024/07/17 02:59:29 )
@Alchemists Fire: oh a paper bead maker! There’s some really great paper bead artists out there :3 you can seal them with stuff like modpodge and they stay and get hard like normal beads :3

Yeah! I mean I use more than one finger for a tighter grip but yeah xD you could also probably use those jewelry clasp holder stick things to do it. I make my ends long enough to have room tho. Someday I’ll just show you xD

Haha yeah I know what you meant xD I’m old too xD when silly bandz came out I was like well thats dumb lol so I never got into them. They were these thin rubber band like bracelets that when they were off were in different shapes like animals and stuff.
Idk what original livestrong bracelets were made of but the ones I had we’re definitely soft silicone. They would get slightly sticky when they got more oily but you could literally just wash it with soap and water and it would be good as new lol but that’s because they were silicone xD I had a variety of colors too so I could even match my outfits :3

Donator — she/her Posted 2 months ago ( 2024/07/17 16:52:38 )
@Ruby: I have to pace myself with crocheting. I have a joint thing, so my hands and wrist can really start to hurt if I do too much crochet. I have compression gloves and a wrist thing... and that helps a lot.
I like the look of granny squares, but my favorite are the ones where it's a different color each row, but I hate changing colors. So I got a quick color changing yarn and it's more random colored granny squares. It's a lot less stress and work than changing the colors myself.
Hats seem like a fun thing to make. I don't personally wear hats though. XD

Thank you very much! I do mandala doodles at work when it's slow and there is nothing to do. SO I ended up putting them on the computer and cleaning up all the lines. I figured if I had the drawings done already, might as well do something with them. It's was a lot of fun! And I printed out all my first drafts and colored them to find mistakes and things I wanted to change. :3

@Alchemists Fire: Chainmail looks really cool! I've seen people with chainmail gloves, or a purse. And I've seen some amazing cosplays online that have chainmail. It's really an amazing skill.

I hate changing color on my mini looms! I literally have a finished piece hanging on my wall with the yarn ends just sticking out the sides because I never wove them back into it. And I never know what to do with the extra at the top, so I always just superglue it down and figure it's hidden on the back. XD

My favorite game when I was little, was Little Nemo and I want to do a cross stitch of Nemo and the jester character. There's a cutscene where they're talking and I think if I added a cute gradient background or something, it would be cute!

I also like spriters resource for old games sprites. https://www.spriters-resource.com/game_boy_advance/kirbynim/

When I moved I did a coloring book purge. I had to cut them down since I had like 50... But I don't realistically color in all of them, so I just kept the ones I actually like.

Donator — #Roy4Mayor Posted 2 months ago ( 2024/07/17 22:27:45 )
@Ruby: Yeah! I have no idea where it is now, I might still have it or it may have been donated or given to younger cousins or something, but it was interesting. I think I was like 8 or 9 when I got it so it's been years since I used it

Okay now I'm curious about this jewellery clasp holder stick things, can't say I've heard of those. Just looked, that's a neat idea! I can definitely see how having the extra stick and the alligator clamp would help!
I swear I've seen another version for helping hold bracelets on while you're clasping them, but now I can't find it

Ohh right okay silly bandz were the dinosaur ones. I remember seeing those and just thinking they looked uncomfortable AF.
I also remember the skinny rubber ones that were kidnda meant to be like bangles? Oh what were they called..... jelly bracelets?

I could never get my silicone ones to un-sticky, once they got dusty and warm they got sticky and were unsalvageable D:

Donator — #Roy4Mayor Posted 2 months ago ( 2024/07/17 22:36:35 )
@Lina: I haven't seen too many people with chainmaille gloves (fitting to the fingers is a real pain), but a purse sounds really cool! I think I've seen people do change purses, but never a full like shoulder bag. Now I wanna do something stupid and make a chainmaille messenger bag....

I love when people make the effort to put chainmaille in cosplays and actually do it properly rather than just painting a chunky knit with metallic paint. Armor is definitely a skill, but you get to use so many much prettier, more decorative patterns when you do jewellery, haha

I've never woven anything with any sort of design, I just do stripes, so colour changing isn't that painful. I would absolutely be lazy and just snip or glue ends down The first weaving I did I think we took off the cardboard loom and put on sticks we collected from outside xD (again, like grade 4...so like 8-9 years old)

Ohh, that's really cute! I bet it'd look awesome with a nice little gradient background, but there's nothing wrong with a plain background either! I'd love to do a scene from a Pokemon gameboy game or something
Oooh, spriters resource, I'll definitely check that out! Pixel art = instant cross stitch pattern xD

I've always found it hard making marks in books I've bought, I definitely have the "keep things pristine" quirk. If I really wanna colour something I'd probably scan/photocopy it xD
Currently dressed as: Grey

Donator — she/her Posted 2 months ago ( 2024/07/18 15:25:21 )
@Alchemists Fire: Sorry, I should have said fingerless gloves. They had like a ring around the middle finger, then sort of like a triangle over the hand into a bracelet, all of chainmail. At least from what I can remember. I thought it looked very cool. And the purse was fabric but covered in chainmail. I imagine being fully chainmail without fabric might be potentially annoying, like your keys might get tangled if you put them in a chainmail bag. I think I saw them at the mall I work at, so there maybe is a chainmail enthusiast that lives near by. We get a lot of interesting people here. ^^

I do think cosplay should be about having a good time, so I don't want to say that you can't or should buy a cosplay, or make it however is most comfortable for you. But when someone goes above and beyond to make something really cool, it's truly amazing to see!! Chainmail and other armors are one of those things that's just so cool to look at! You can tell when time and effort have gone into a cosplay!
The anime convention I go to had someone who made a suit of armor from monster energy cans, with chainmail made from the pop tabs. And it was actually clearly well crafted. And then the next year there was a whole army of people in drink and snack armor, like a doritos and stuff. They weren't all great quality, but it was fun to see that a whole trend had started. XD

There's a whole world a weaving patterns! I've only done one so far because they're intimidating. Bu think it might actually not be that hard?

They look like this, which is a lot to take in. But I'm pretty sure the top row of colors indicates how to thread the loom colors. And the side is the color order you'll weave through. Then I think the dots along the top and side are the weaving pattern? This is the one I tried so it's just a normal under 1, over 1 weave. But there are more complicated ones. So like, this one would be under 2, over 2 weave... But I haven't tested it yet.

There is some truly beautiful pixel art out there, and I would love to cross stitch it all! We could cross stitch our avatars if we wanted. Might want to reduce the size and colors a little, but it's totally possible!
I really love looking at the pixel art people make. I wonder if it's stealing someone art if you cross stitch something they made? I mean it is.. but if I'm just doing it for myself..? >.<

But coloring books are meant to be colored in! I definitely had trouble when I first started coloring in coloring books and I would make a mistake. I wanted to get whiteout or something and make it perfect. But it's supposed to be a de-stressing activity, so I just have to remind myself that's it's only for me and doesn't need to be perfect. It helps that I have like 50 books now, so they feel less valuable. XD

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 months ago ( 2024/07/18 23:19:32 )
@Alchemists Fire: ooh neat, I've seen one of those along time ago. on Tuesday, they has a container where they had green rice and rice in it, along with beads with letters on them, and put an elephant figurine, and other stuff like a sensory eye spy, the month of July their learning about different things about Africa. I don't know what they're doing next week Tuesday. It's a surprise each week on Tuesdays.

@Ruby: thank you ruby ill have to check that out.

Artist Posted 2 months ago ( 2024/07/22 03:37:44 )
@Lina: ouch I’m sorry :( I used to crochet a lot then I messed up my arm and I still get pain trying to crochet now. I should honestly try the compression gloves lol glad to know they work!

Ugh yeah changing yarn is a pain. Not even so much adding it as it is weaving in all the ends after Dx
Variegated yarn is definitely a good way to go for that~
What do you do with your granny squares?

That’s really cool! I like that you really made sure it was all ready to go :3 I’d do the same thing tbh haha always good to test your product ^^

Artist Posted 2 months ago ( 2024/07/22 03:41:27 )
@Alchemists Fire: I sorta deep dove into paper beads years ago but never actually got the stuff to try it then I lost interest xD

Yeah! Those things :3 its cool to see all the stuff they have to help people with mobility issues or even just people who are fed up rofl xD

Yeah! I never got any either lol they all looked gross to me xD
Yeah jelly bracelets too lol although those I remember because people were wearing different colors to mean different things they’d do….I was too scared xD

I’m sorry your bracelets got bad D;

Donator — Medical Biller Posted 2 months ago ( 2024/07/22 05:40:28 )
@FUZZY:

𓃵

Donator — she/her Posted 2 months ago ( 2024/07/22 14:38:39 )
@Ruby: I love my compression gloves! They help a lot. I also have like an elbow sleeve thing for if my elbow hurts. and a wrist brace if my wrist hurts. It's never anything too bad, just sort of aches. But it's still better to avoid. XD

So far, I've never made enough granny squares to actually do a project. But the plan is make a sweater.

I found so many errors in my coloring book when I first printed it! I think partly because it prints different than you realize it will. But also, on the computer I was always zoomed in on the details and I definitely missed things. XD
Find me @ PlayWithErica on instagram, twitch, youtube, and discord.

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 months ago ( 2024/07/22 15:36:50 )
@Qiqi Agatha: thank you, the same goes for you. Sorry I just woke up so I am tired.

Donator — Medical Biller Posted 1 month ago ( 2024/07/26 19:42:22 )
It's ok @FUZZY: . Resting is important

𓃵
Ensuite, je suis le fantôme de Novembre!

Donator — She/Her Posted 1 month ago ( 2024/07/27 09:18:45 )
@Qiqi Agatha: too be honest Ive been tired a lot, Like I aint getting enough sleep... I guess the other night when I heard something not good happen my time to go to bed has been off as well...
If you can’t say something nice, Don’t say anything at all!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.