Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts ┤▒├ Wildfire's World ┤▒├ All welcome, all the time - come say Hi!

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2021/03/8 22:05:52 )
Again, I don't disagree, but at what point does all of this go too far, too? There are points where this kind of thing serves to divide (on one end of the spectrum or on the other) instead of unite, and we lose our history and the lessons that go along with it. No, obviously I'm not suggesting that we keep throwing salt in wounds... that doesn't help anything other than to be mean... but in this case, for example, where the imagery is a little questionable perhaps but not really "out there"...

... gah! I'm losing my train of thought :(

Some of this can be seen as just a political move, with some agenda (other than "cleaning up")

Some of this is hypocritical because again, although I see this stuff going on, I also see plenty of other instances where we are VERY quick to judge (and be really mean about it) instead of adopting a "human is human is human" and embracing the differences between us as lovely and unique and opportunities to learn and grow...

... and that was an awesome (if horrifically racist and stereotyped) episode of bugs bunny!!

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2021/03/8 22:06:57 )
Not nostalgia, per se. Learning moments. Historical context of how far we've come, what we've learned, what we've accomplished together instead of fighting each other and trying to exert power and control over each other...

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2021/03/8 22:09:31 )
This is exactly

In some cases that might be a thing, but again. Not a single person said anything to Dr. Seuss's company/estate. They themselves decided that those imagines were no longer something they connected with, or cared to defend. This is a company taking accountability for something they themselves felt was harmful. So are we dividing ourselves because they wanted to do what they felt was the right thing?

what you think it is.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2021/03/8 22:12:14 )
Not at all, but the skeptic in me wonders where and how the decision came about and what else might be going on behind the scenes. In this day and age, "perception" is pretty much everything... so how much of this move is authentic? how much is calculated or preemptive? I guess it doesn't matter

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2021/03/8 22:14:20 )
This is exactly

Doesn't matter in the slightest. The decision was made. Every other Dr. Seuss book is still being printed. Besides if people really want to keep books from a terrible awful human being, there's still Raold Dahl's books.

what you think it is.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2021/03/8 22:17:03 )
Anyway, normally I really enjoy these kinds of discussions, but my brain is fried right now and I'm not sure I'm getting my thoughts across very well.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2021/03/8 22:20:14 )
Roald Dahl ... Salman Rushdie... Mark Twain... Margaret Atwood...

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2021/03/8 23:57:41 )
Sorry I poofed, I had a few phone calls to take care of.
I walked around my garden some to see where I might have collected some allergy issues. -shrugs- too many things. XD

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2021/03/9 01:14:52 )
@Koah: it happens. Welcome back.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2021/03/9 02:40:21 )
@Wildfire: I keep disappearing today. Allergies randomly started kickin' my butt after that phone call I had earlier. XD
Now all I wanna do is slug around the house. Kids are taking advantage and scattering instead of doing school.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2021/03/9 14:00:53 )
@Koah: obviously I poofed too. I'm sorry you're dealing with allergies now too - they are no fun :( Did you ever wrangle the kids in to doing their schoolwork?

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2021/03/9 14:01:33 )
Good morning everyone
I hope everyone has good things planned for today! :3

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2021/03/9 14:20:15 )
This is exactly

Good morning

what you think it is.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2021/03/9 14:48:49 )

Morning! ^^

Art DumpAvatar GalleryQuest Items

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2021/03/9 15:00:25 )
@Another Movie Addict:
@Purpsy:
Good morning!
Do either of you have plans for the day?

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2021/03/9 15:03:31 )
This is exactly

Just work. Earning money for another Disney trip.

what you think it is.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2021/03/9 15:17:32 )
@Another Movie Addict: Oh? When are you going this time?

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2021/03/9 15:18:30 )
This is exactly

Next weekend.

what you think it is.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2021/03/9 15:28:27 )
Oh! Fun! Are you going with the same group of friends as last time? Are you looking forward to anything in particular about going or being there this time?

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2021/03/9 15:31:07 )
This is exactly

Same group of friends, and I'm looking forward to the Flower and Garden festival food stalls. The event foods look so good.

what you think it is.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.